· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: breeding?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default breeding?

0 Not allowed!
    Not being familiar with fish breeding, I wanted to run this by everyone to see if I'm nuts.

My cichlid tank has only one of any species of cichlid I wanted.
    Although I tried to get all males, there were a couple that were unsexed due to their age. Now I think I'm seeing some breeding behaviors.
    1) the male red zebra has positioned himself above a rock and is chasing any males away.
    2) my zebra obliquicans not only looks like a female, but the red zebra allows her to hover above, below or beside the red. very close proximity as in less than an inch.
    3) every now and then, the female does a weird vertical up and down dance thing in front of him.
    4) if the zebra ob. goes to the other side of the tank and is there for more than a couple minutes, the male goes to collect her. he doesn't bully her, just kind of gently steers her back into his territory.

am I nuts, or are these two idiots now mates? they are just about the same in size with him being a bit heavier. can those two breed or will they just go through the motions? if they are mates, what do I look for?

thanks,
    marc4

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes they can breed. How old are they ? I also breed cichlids. It is a lot of fun. I have really never noticed a pairing with African cichlids though. It us usually when the males are ready to breed whatever female is available to them, the usually breed with. Except when it comes to cross breeding in species. For example. When you try to cross breed a mbuna with a peacock. It is a little harder. It does happen, but haven't seen to much of it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like breeding behavior to me. That's exactly what my South American cichlids do when they get ready. I call this courting behavior.

How's your tank doing?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The tank is now growing algae, but is no longer growing slime. I'm getting used to dealing with the sand. I can't find a size on the bag, and its pretty small. I would have gotten 20, but my house mates went out of their way the day I had to tear down the tank and it seems to be ok. My vacuum picks up a lot of sand. Is there a good vacuum for smaller sand? (thanks for asking Kat).

Both the red zebra and the zebra O. were sent last November and at that time they were about 2". Both are between 4-5", full bodied, and the male is a great orange/peach colored. He was a sexed male, while she was unsexed.
    I really appreciate the insight. Courting was what it looked like to me, but I'd never seen it.

There must be something in the water. I have a yellow top mbamba that is a male. He is generally shy. Since his color is pretty much the same as my demasoni, he gets chased now and then. This morning, there he was, doing the same behavior as the red zebra and my polit is hovering over him. I purchased the polit maybe three months ago. She was only 1.5 inches. Unsexed at the time. Very cute little face.

I knew there was a chance of cross breeding if one or more turned out to be female, but was hoping they wouldn't breed. Cross breeding seems like a risky thing health wise, and I would think that making new cross bred species wouldn't be good for the line. My congo black calvus was hopefully going to take care of eggs or tiny fry. He is still pretty tiny though. There is an aquarium store fairly near, but it doesn't seem responsible to put the crossbred babies into the general population. If two of my fish do cross breed, hello second tank. My land lord will kill me. I'm looking over at my tank now. The red zebra is quietly munching on the algae on one rock with his girlfriend next to him.

Oddly enough, the place where both pair are courting is the same. They seem to share it. When the red goes into the cave below, the other two go up top. There doesn't seem to be a problem between the two pair. The yellow top has chased the demasoni away a couple of times. Guess he is serious. For all that, they seem to have worked out their issues without any violence save short chases.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats! It must mean they are happy in their water :)

I have no comment about the cross breeding because I don't know anything about it, but I laughed when you said "hello second tank". I think it happens to almost all of us.

I'm glad your tank is no longer growing that slime. What kind of algae are you seeing?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've read often about cichlids like these cross breeding and haven't seen that there is an issue as far as health of the spawn. The issue arises when selling and honestly representing that they are cross bred specimens.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The algae is just the typical brown stuff. The fish all graze on it during the day, and seems like a good addition to their diet. They also get to partake in a natural behavior. I do remove it from the airstone tubing and heater, but leave most of it alone.
    When I first saw it, I was afraid it was the slime again. Once I ran my fingers over a rock with the growth, it wasn't slippery so no return of the slime. (that sounds like the name of a cheezy horror movie).

One reason I would be wary of selling cross bred cichlids to an aquarium store is that once I do, I lose control of whether the fish are sold as a single species as opposed to a cross bred fish.

marc4