· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breeding?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    can those two breed or will they just go through the motions? if they are mates, what do I look for?

I'm not sure if they can hybridize, the Zebra Obliquidens are from Lake Kyoga and Lake Nawampasa (adjacent to Lake Victoria) while the Red Zebra's originate from Lake Malawi.

But if they go through the motions, the activity to look for (at least with most mbuna's, which the red zebra is and the obliquidens isn't) is:

the two participants circling each other. While circling the male will stop, shimmy and display his anal fin which in matured specimens have egg spots. This visual stimulates the female to stop, and drop eggs. During the next circling pass, the male will fertilize the eggs, during the next circling pass the mouth-brooder female will collect the eggs, this process repeats until all eggs are fertilized and collected.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Hahaha lol! That is funny.

I was afraid you'd be paranoid about the slime and anytime you felt something slimy, you'd think it was back. I'm so happy it did not plague you again.

Wonder what that was?
    It was some kind of mucoid bacteria. I have never seen a bacteria take over that fast. They probably had taken over leaving no chance for BB. In less than a week if went from having been rinsed and the large particle section of the filter so that it looked normal, to reproducing so fast that when I opened the unit (was getting low water pressure) there was nothing recognizable inside. If I was still practicing, I would have taken a culture and get a report from the lab. It was shocking. I still worry about it coming back