· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry your Discus is ill :( - steeler58   sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   

Default Please help!!! Discuss thrashing BAD!!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure what's going on. I hear a loud crashing sound only to look up and find that my Discuss is thrashing around the tank. Then he goes to the side where the Angelfish eggs are, almost like he's eating them but he never has been this aggressive with them before. The Angels then start picking on the Discuss and the Discus just sits there.
    Then the Discus starts thrashing again, banging himself on all parts of the tank walls. I immediately net him out and put him in the other tank otherwise the Angels would have picked him to death.
    Now in the other tank, I've checked parameters. Wow!! Nitrates are out of control!! I'm not sure that's what the problem is exactly but there's definitely something wrong. I did a WC immediately and will do another one today.
    Every time he bashes around the tank, everyone can hear it. :'( it's horrible. I just cry. It's strange that no other fish is affected either (or it appears).
    Is it simply nitrate poisoning or something else? I never even noticed anything had been wrong although, I just gave birth a few weeks ago and just finally brought my baby home after almost 3 weeks from the NICU so I've been super preoccupied.
    I really feel horrible. Thanks for the help.
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good luck on your exam! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    How high was the nitrate reading? Did you do an ammonia and nitrite test as well?

I think it is understandable that you've been preoccupied-- congratulations on the little one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

1 Not allowed!
    Hi Mylea! Congrats on your baby :)

I really have no idea about the trashing, discusluv knows her discus and can help. But I did let nitrates climb high in my 120g when I collaborated a bunch of angels increasing the bioload by more than a third. The plants were simply not keeping up with the bioload.

1) So, like you did, I did a couple large WCs to bring the nitrates down.
    2) I added more fast growing plants like water lettuce and hygrophila types.
    3) I resumed (don't know why I keep forgetting) probiotic dosing.

The last method is an old method pond keepers have been using for decades. It involves adding bacteria spores to the aquarium to outcompete other forms of bad bacteria (like columnaris and cyanobacteria). Out of experience, it really works to keep filters and substrate cleaner (mulm), improving water quality and reducing maintenance time.

Now you can buy products made for aquariums at 5 times the cost, or use essentially the same bacteria stains that are intended for septic tanks.

I use SeptoBac (Rid-X in US). I simply add some powder (1 tsp per 100 gallons) to a media bag and add it to the filter flow. I ruffle the media bag here and there to release the bacteria faster. Here's a link on the subject, it's very long, but it sold me.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f.../#post-6415196
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good luck on your exam! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thats interesting about the RID-X... Ill have to read about that.
    Im on that forum as well... and RD is a very knowledgeable guy. He convinced me to stop feeding beefheart to my discus ( after many, many years of doing so).
    As well as helped me with feeding the right food for my geophagus and other earth-eaters.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Where are the tanks located I've had discus thrash about the tank if I walk by to quickly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Where are the tanks located I've had discus thrash about the tank if I walk by to quickly.
    I assumed that it was more complicated then that, this is definitely something that you would want to look at first: if the discus are getting startled by movement in front or on top of tank they will thrash around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Easy first thing to try is covering the back
    and sides of the tank could use black poster board or even black trash bags