· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    first off congrats on the new baby. taking care of babies is pretty stressful for sure. I can understand the concern that you show about the well being of you charges. did you say that the discus was thrashing around even after you moved them/it? I have never kept discus yet but from what i have read it does sound like stress/ skitishness. Have you tried Amazon Joe's suggestion on covering the back and sides of the tank yet?
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you can figure it out. - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you everyone!

The tank I had him in was the 125 gallon with other fish (who appeared unaffected). I ended up removing him from there and putting him in the 65 gallon with some different fish because he was getting picked on, probably due to his crazy behavior.

The tank he is in now is covered in the back. It is away from a window or a lot of traffic. He is still thrashing in this tank as well. Last night, he tried committing suicide as he was found outside the tank on the floor. Now, he is black, find clamped, staring at the bottom of the tank. He's all beat up. I just want to cry.
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    have you tried putting him in a QT tank with methylene blue? If his gills are bothering him, and the water in both tanks are irritating the gills, forcing him to get out, then the methylene blue may help the healing process.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you can figure it out. - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    I have not placed him in QT because I was worried he'd get beat up more being in a smaller space. I forgot to mention, today he has a cloudy eye now, wasn't there before. He's really doing bad. He's laying sideways, not able to keep his balance, and breathing heavy.

If my husband was home I may have more time to take him out, set up a tank and treat but I'm honestly not even sure he'd make it. I wonder if he's too far gone. :'(

I also wanted to ask about clove oil. Anyone use this for euthanasia? I hate to even have to bring this up but it's bad. I don't even know how much to use or how to do it.
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    MB will help bring more oxygen into his blood and can help fix cloudy eye.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sadly it's not going to be long. I'm already crying as I look in the tank and he's laying on the bottom turning colors. :'( :'( And I don't have clove oil at the moment. How can I put him out of his misery?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Take a hammer (or baton) and bash the top of the head (above the eyeball, and slightly behind it) to stun the fish. Finally, drive a long nail or knife into the same location. This humane method is approved by the American Veterinary Association for euthanizing fin fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I am so sorry for you and for the discus. It is not something I find easy to do, and had to do the same last night to one of my fish.

I found this article very informative on ways to and not to euthanize fish;

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ight-be-guilty

Specificaly;

Clove oil, containing the ingredient eugenol, is good but has minor issues, in that it isn’t always readily mixed with water, preferring to remain as clusters of oily droplets. In an ideal world, it could be made into a stock solution ready for use, mixed with ethanol, which would allow easy application. But we then face the issue of adverse reactions to ethanol.

Current clove oil methods involve adding a dose of 400mg/l to water, and premixing it so that all of the oil has emulsified. The fish is then transferred to this water, after which it will lose consciousness within seconds, and breathing will quickly cease. Eventually the fish will succumb to hypoxia and die, though like other methods this can vary in timescale from fish to fish. It is recommended that the fish be left in the solution for at least two hours.

William Wildgoose’s BSAVA Manual of Ornamental Fish Health mentions clove oil as a technique for killing fish at 10 drops per litre as a minimal dose, noting that clove oil can be properly dissolved by mixing with a little hot water first.

Dr. Peter Burgess suggests the fish should be left in anaesthetic solution “at least one hour, and if in doubt, overnight. If the fish shows activity after 20-30 minutes or so, then add extra anaesthetic.” He adds that the person performing the task should also monitor closely for signs of movement, and in the case of very small fish, a magnifying glass may be required to be certain.
    Not sure where you live but vitamin/health stores and craft stores will sell clove oil (Craft stores in the candle making area). You may be able to order it online as well to have in case of future need.

When I euthanize fish I will place tank water and clove oil in a zip seal bag and shake it until the water is milky/cloudy. I then will carefully put the fish in-trying not to dip the net in the water. Clove oil is so very hard to remove. I then seal the bag and let the oil do its work. I will usually place the bag in a dark location and check on it every 15 minutes and eventually every hour. I do watch for life signs and if needed will mix more clove oil/water to put them into deeper sleep and ultimately let them pass. I have never been able to euthanize any other way.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore