· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: clams

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default clams

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone here had any experience with fresh water clams? I seen some on the Live Aquaria website and i realized that I have not seen very much information on keeping them.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    No experience, but here's a read on them: https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-clams/

I'd avoid them mainly because 1. you probably won't see them much, and 2. the dying and fouling water thing
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    No experience, but here's a read on them: https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-clams/

I'd avoid them mainly because 1. you probably won't see them much, and 2. the dying and fouling water thing
    thank you. at this point I was not planning on trying them but wanted to find out about them first.
    Brian

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    wow, just read the article. sounds like even if they do not die right away their life expectancy ifs measured in months rather than years. i would not like the idea of one or more dying while buried in the substrate. thank you for pointing out the article. it was helpful in learning more.
    Brian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I haven't kept them, but I see a lot of discussion about them on the FB groups for both fresh and marine clams, and I've been doing research as I would like to keep one in the near future.

The biggest challenge with clams is keeping them fed. They filter the food they need out of the water column, and if the tank is too clean, they will quickly starve. Very established planted tanks, preferably 6+ months old, are highly recommended as there are large thriving populations of microorganisms and lots of particulate plant matter floating around.

Keeping them in a tank with a shallow substrate will also reduce the chance of them being able to dig down deep and disappear on you.

I always encourage folks to try keeping what interests them and do not want them to be scared off from a certain species just because there are some things to watch out for. Don't settle for mediocrity. If you fancy yourself a clam or two, by all means give them a try as long as you do lots of research beforehand and understand what they need to thrive.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    wow, just read the article. sounds like even if they do not die right away their life expectancy ifs measured in months rather than years. i would not like the idea of one or more dying while buried in the substrate. thank you for pointing out the article. it was helpful in learning more.
    Welcome, anytime

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Indeed knowledge is a valuable asset.
    Brian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'm sure you know by now, but research is key if you want to succeed in fishkeeping

It isn't hard, it just takes time, and the more you are willing to learn, the greater your success will be

Stay active here and keep asking those questions, you have the aptitude IMO to be an excellent aquarist

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Research is invaluable. But there can also be so much conflicting information out there. Sometimes you just have to take a leap and try something you really want. It may be costly, but it may work just as expected. A lot depends on your experience in the hobby, maybe some luck along the way and how it might impact what's going well already. What works for one may not work for another.

As an example, I was quite surprised to see that my adult RCS survived with adult diamond tetras, HY511, silver tip tetras and even large silver dollars, although I've seen few babies/juvies survive. Trying a few adult RCS with the much much smaller sparkling gouramis resulted in decimation of the shrimp within days. So one win, one loss. But now I know through my own experience and minimal cost/loss.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

1 Not allowed!
    @Sue, your post reminded me of my 46 gallon with RCS. I had a pair of Electric blue rams, the shrimp were able to stay colonized in the heavily planted tank no problem for months and months. Within two weeks after I moved my EBRs and exchanged them for a pair of angelfish, my RCS colony had been completely wiped out.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat