· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Is my molly pregnant?

1 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone

I'm a newbie and just bought some fishes last weekend. All other fishes act normally as i see but one of the molly seem to be not too active, hiding in the bottom most of the time...i read some articles online saying if the fish hide in the bottom and get a gravid spot could be signs of pregnancy. I attached picture of my fish, please give me some advise (should i get a seperate tank? A breeding box?)

Thanks

D64CE079-6913-494B-8E4B-3C2F2359B5E0.jpg
    AA830AE6-823B-4DAE-B2B2-F5C65E312D9F.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

The molly doesn't appear to be pregnant, from what I see....it may be ailing, though.

Do you know about "cycling" a fish tank before adding fish, or cycling while fish are present?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Oh~ if its ailing, what shuld i do to save her? Any product i can buy to cure her? Put her in a seperate tank?

P.s: I run the water for a day before putting in new fishes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to the AC. plenty of Knowledgeable folks around here to help you on your way to fish addiction. if she is pregnant it all depends on if you want to save any fry. some live or artificial plants in the tank can help save some. what other occupants are in the tank? you may want to start out by checking your water parameters such as ammonia and nitrites. she may be ill because of stress but that can lead to other issues too. BTW many live bearers can store sperm and have several batches without being fertilized again.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbeginner View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Oh~ if its ailing, what shuld i do to save her? Any product i can buy to cure her? Put her in a seperate tank?

P.s: I run the water for a day before putting in new fishes.
    You need to "cycle" the tank, which in very simple terms means growing enough Beneficial Bacteria (BB) to neutralize the fish waste they produce

I highly encourage you to read all of the Stickys in the beginner section of the forum that you can, start with this one

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC. I hope you will read through and follow the instructions found in the link posted above.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for welcoming me, giving me useful info and great article to read!
    Wish I found AC earlier so I can prepare a better living environment for my fishes.

P.s: i have a few mollies, guppies, glass fishes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    The members here can help you get your tank to a healthy home for your fish. If you have questions, please ask. The linked article seems like quite a bit of info at first, but it really does get more simple. You just have to grow some beneficial bacteria, as Slap stated. Members here can provide guidance, if you will ask questions. This is a very friendly site.

I am glad that you've found the AC, and delighted that you read the recommended link. I hope you are excited about your journey ahead. I'm looking forward to following along.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Great advice from AC members above.

Welcome to the AC! It would be very helpful for you to get a test kit to know the conditions of the water in your tank. API makes a good master kit for a decent price, here's a link
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...B0L&ref=plSrch

Once you get your master kit, you can test for ammonia and post a pic of your results if you want. It'll help us walk you through the steps to a safe cycled tank.

While you are looking for aquarium products, a good water conditioner to get (if you don't already have it) is Prime by Seachem.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...NML&ref=plSrch

It will especially help to make tank water safe your fish while you're cycling. Don't worry, we'll walk you through it, I won't want to bombard you with info at first! It will all fit together in due time. Let's get this tank off to the right start :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad you got the Prime :) And good call about the bio media, I use as much bio as I can fit. Which type of filter do you have?

Well zero ppm ammonia is good! 40ppm nitrate is a bit high, a few Water Changes are definitely in order to bring those down. I try to keep all my nitrates below 10ppm. What is your current WC schedule?

You're also still cycling until you reach 0ppm nitrite. Nirtite is almost as toxic as ammonia, so you want that kept low while you have fish in there.

At the bottom of your Petsmart pg, it says always use water conditioner and a bacteria starter when changing water. A bacteria starter is not needed once your tank cycles every time, but I do personally believe they help for starting up tanks and adding new fish. I like to add bacteria supplements to the filter media where the BB grows most.

For now, flush that nitrite as much as possible with WCs. It's ok to change water (even more than 25%) if you don't mess with the filter that is trying to colonize BB. You can do Moore than once WC per day if you have to.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat