· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Tank choice

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Tank choice

0 Not allowed!
    So I have the following space to work with for a tank. I'm considering two options. Either a 50 gallon corner tank or a 65 gallon (36x18) tank. The wall next to the fireplace is 46" and the wall extending into the room is 32". So not to crowd the fireplace too much, I almost feel a corner tank would work best, but I'm having difficulty finding a tank stand that meets my wife's criteria. If I were to go with the 65 gallon tank, I'd look to get a RJ Enterprises tank stand in a dark brown stain similar to the floor. I'd appreciate your thoughts as I hope to get moving on this project sooner than later. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    55g: Planted Tank: Firemouth, Blue Acara, Rainbow Cichlid, 15 Bloodfin Tetras, and 8 Panda Cories

45g Planted Tank: 2 Koi Angelfish, 19 Rummy Nose Tetras, and 6 Green Cories

20g Planted Tank: 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Peppered Cories, and 8 Amano Shrimp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    in my personal opinion would be the corner tank but that is just because I like the looks of the tank. but I can understand having to meet the wife's criteria. I am assuming you are not planning on using the fireplace.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! We miss you. - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll throw a third option into the mix - a cube shaped tank. I don't know if they'd be more or less expensive than a corner tank, but it might be worth comparing those options. Personally, I'd go with the 65 gallon (or a 40B has the same footprint) on a nice wood cabinet.
    You could paint the cabinet (and possibly the trim on the tank too, if you wish) to match the trim on the fireplace and woodwork in your house to give it a more built-in look. I watch way to many home improvement DIY shows. lol
    Last edited by showmebutterfly; 07-11-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Let me just say... I looked at the pic before reading the post and thought to myself it would be perfect for my 47g column tank lol!
    I guess though if you're choosing between a corner or a 3' 65g though I'd personally go with the 65g because... Well bigger is always better and the RJ stands are beautiful, I got one for my 55 and had a nice one before I moved here with the matching top that I adored.
    What fish are you considering? That would be what I would be basing my decision around mostly myself. :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    what would the surface area be on the corner tank?
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    what would the surface area be on the corner tank?
    This would be one of my considerations. "Wider" often works better than "taller" for many species. Taller tanks can also be a little more difficult to work in when aquascaping if you will be adding live plants. Also consider the height when choosing lighting for a planted tank.