· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Baby stars

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   

Default Baby stars

4 Not allowed!
    At my place of employment we have a 500 g saltwater tank. I make it a habit to check out what's going on when I have a moment. Today I noticed some teeny sea stars so I snapped a photo with my tablet. They are approx 6mm arm tip to arm tip. Me not knowing too much about marine inverts thought it was pretty cool. I also snapped a pic of a larger one.
    IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    The small ones aren't babies, they are asterina starfish and are common in marine setups...kind of like how bladder snails are so common in planted freshwater tanks. They usually hitchhike in on corals or live rock.

Some hobbyists don't mind them. Others feel they are pests that can multiply quickly by fragmentation (hence the missing/stubby arms) and some species are known to eat corals so a lot of hobbyists try to eliminate them on sight rather than wait and find out the hard way whether they are reef-safe or not.

I personally think they are cute, but I also don't have any in my reef. I had some come in on the chaeto algae I use in my refugium/sump, but I removed them from the chaeto before adding it to the sump.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Good information. The aquarium is maintained by a company. It has been set up for a couple of years.
    Brian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool!

Are they really that blue, or is it the tank's lighting?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Cool!

Are they really that blue, or is it the tank's lighting?
    when I went by the aquarium in the morning that day only the actinic lighting was on. it is a nice tank but is set up to be viewed from both sides and has a lot of open space in the center that you can see whats going on on the other side.
    Brian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    I have a few asterina's in my reef set up (classic hitch-hikers); they're all mostly asymmetric in shape with varying number of limbs of varying size (as if they were reared in radioactive water or something); the harmless ones (='reef safe') consume algae.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    A lot of people hate them, claiming that they can eat coralline algae and corals. I have a client tank where they all migrate onto the center overflow box, never spreading to the outside walls. I guess it grows enough algae on it that they wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Tank has been that way for a long time.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape