· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   good luck with the cycle! - wolf_eyes   might as well get  some  now  ...you'll have  it  soon enough  lol - bushwhacker   have a gift! - Agassizii   yay, time to add fish! - Lab_Rat   

Default Getting back in the game...community tank!

3 Not allowed!
    Long time since I have left the fishkeeping years back. Getting my 55gal long fired back up again. Thinking community tank, pretty basic. Here is what I am thinking off the top of my head.

Planted with only stuff that my fish won't touch such as swords, java moss on manzanita branches that I will be gathering at Lake Tahoe( i live near there and they have a ton of these.

black substrate with smooth because of cory cats (does flourite substrate exist that wont harm cory cats?)

Stocking
    1 RCS - plan is to add RCS in first, let them live and maybe breed for a while, get some, while I get the plants, decorations in there.

2 Cory cats - I would like a small school of these
    3 a pair of gouramis...or other colorful peaceful fish. Not picky here. The goal is colorful fun tank that causes least amt problems.
    4 some other tiny low bioload fish that schools
    5 pleco - will the corys and rcs outcompete the pleco?

Some questions....
    I assume I should gradually stock to prevent mini cycles?
    Feasible to facilitate rcs to spawn? At some point tank can support adding fish? Trying to figure out the logistics. I wonder if i am just better off fishless cycling with a large bioload, adding fish first such as cories because rcs has so little waste.

What ratios of fish am I looking at without being overstocked?
    55G Community tank, in progress
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :
    Harlequin Rasboras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Cory cats,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   good luck with the cycle! - wolf_eyes   might as well get  some  now  ...you'll have  it  soon enough  lol - bushwhacker   have a gift! - Agassizii   yay, time to add fish! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    In addition, I have a large HOB filter(AC110) and a cannister(fluval 300 series) Probably will use the HOB if it is sufficient? Easier to clean.
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for Sharing Your fish! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Following

Rcs are great. They won’t handle ammonia well and like a more seasoned tank in my experience. Most everything will hunt them while they are small. They will need cover. You might consider cholla wood for them. It will give them a plant to hide and graze from

There are many types of plecos. I personally love Bristlenose. Mine are out front and generally active. Females are more do then males in my experience. Young Bristlenose will eat algae and bio film. As they mature they become more omnivorous. Mine love bloodworms and earthworm sticks.

Many pleco species are carnivorous and need lots of flow. Some eat lots of wood. Bristlenose are hardy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I would definitely recommend going the fishless cycle route. Read through this - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

and this - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=125481

When you cycle with fish, not only do you risk harm to the fish, but you're constantly having to monitor water parameters and do frequent water changes to keep things stable until you complete the cycle.

Some people will add a larger amount of fish once the tank is cycled because they may be having them shipped and want to get the most bang for the buck out of the shipping charges. I'm fortunate to have a LFS nearby and I prefer to stock slowly.

Depending on what your other schooling fish might be, you may or may not have luck with RCS. I have adults which have survived with tetras such as diamonds, silver tips, and HY511, but have seen few babies/juvies in there. In other tanks with things like pencilfish, WCMM, and a few other nano species, the RCS do breed and increase in population. I have no experience with gouramis so I can't say how RCS will fare with them, but cories have not been an issue with RCS in my tanks. I have had BN plecos with cories before and there were no problems. I've since sold the plecos off as I never saw them and they just added too much bioload for my tank.

The AC110 could be sufficient dependent on your bioload; others prefer canister filters. I personally use just HOB's as they're easier for me to maintain. You can play around with this calculator to check stocking levels against your tank size and equipment - http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Plus ten to @SueD 's recommendation with the fishless cycle route.

Welcome back, vegas2k!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

4 Not allowed!
    personally i would plant and decorate first before the rcs. Let the plants establish themselves, like weeks. Do you know if you have chloramine treated tap water? If so, treating with Prime will convert the ammonia to ammonium and will readily feed the plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I would definitely recommend going the fishless cycle route. Read through this - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

and this - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=125481

When you cycle with fish, not only do you risk harm to the fish, but you're constantly having to monitor water parameters and do frequent water changes to keep things stable until you complete the cycle.

Some people will add a larger amount of fish once the tank is cycled because they may be having them shipped and want to get the most bang for the buck out of the shipping charges. I'm fortunate to have a LFS nearby and I prefer to stock slowly.

Depending on what your other schooling fish might be, you may or may not have luck with RCS. I have adults which have survived with tetras such as diamonds, silver tips, and HY511, but have seen few babies/juvies in there. In other tanks with things like pencilfish, WCMM, and a few other nano species, the RCS do breed and increase in population. I have no experience with gouramis so I can't say how RCS will fare with them, but cories have not been an issue with RCS in my tanks. I have had BN plecos with cories before and there were no problems. I've since sold the plecos off as I never saw them and they just added too much bioload for my tank.

The AC110 could be sufficient dependent on your bioload; others prefer canister filters. I personally use just HOB's as they're easier for me to maintain. You can play around with this calculator to check stocking levels against your tank size and equipment - http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I have done only fishless in the past. I only mention this because I read that if I put only a few RCS in my 55 gal tank, the ammonia buildup would be negligible. It looks like I am going to do a few fish at a time, since I can get most of not all the fish I need locally anyways.

I have read that Cory cats won't touch RCS. As for schooling fish, maybe by adding large RC first with my Cory cats, they will help maintain my cycled tank as I slowly add fish.

Here is my updated plan with all I've read here so far...

1. substrate, plant tank, get plants settled in while cycling tank. Maybe add my manzanita while cycling. My water company uses chlorine to treat. Does that mean I end up with Chloramines in the water? I do use prime. Have my same Prime bottle. From what I am reading from Rocksor, this will feed my plants? So I do not need flourite substrate for my plants to thrive? I need smooth substrate because rough substrate will harm the Cory cats whiskers.

2. Once tank cycled, plants should be established. Add Cory Cats and RCS

3. Add schooling fish - looking for all options. peaceful, that won't ravage my plants. I am thinking about getting a group of Harlequin Rasbora, and a group of black skirt tetras. maybe 10 of each?

4. Centerpiece. Maybe a pair of honey gouramis....or Bolivian Rams..other options?

5.add a bunch of adult RCS, so they should not get eaten. I will consider the cholla wood. Never heard of it but it looks really cool too. It'll go nicely with my manzanita branches.

Probably stick with my AC110 to start it's a very large HOB that I can stuff a lot of my ceramic rings in, and easy to clean.

Thanks Rivergirl for the welcome! I have rinsed out my old tank, and will soon be running it. I still have my old surfactant free ammonia bottle to get the cycle going.

Stocking # :
    1. RCS : around 10, see if they multiply
    2. Cory cats : 5
    3. Harlequin Rasbora, black skirt tetras : 10 of each
    4. 4 Bolivian Rams

Does this look under, about right, or over?
    According to Aqadvisor, 75%. I have no desire to overstock. Any incompatibilities? These are all pretty peaceful species.

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200909300031:
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Stocking plan sounds good, but consider black phantom tetras instead of the black skirts..BS's can be a bit nippy...BP's are just as nice looking, and very peaceful

If you start off with about 3-4 PPM of ammonia to start your cycle, you should be able to add all of the fish at once

With a tank that size, I'd get 10 corys, 12-15 each of the harleys and tetras...never kept rams before, but 4 should work
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    You will still need flourite for the plants in the long run. Plants will consume ammonium first before they consume nitrates, which is where the water conditioner comes into play. Prime will detoxify ammonia and turn it into ammonium for 48 hours.

You are right about a small colony of RCS, and even one as large as 10, would have negligible impact on a 55g for weeks. I had a 12" pleco, 3" oscar, 3" chocolate cichlid, 3" clown pleco, 5 x 3-4" silver dollars, and 4" vieja in a brand new 240g with cycled filters, and I didn't see any nitrate increase for 3 weeks. That's quite a bit more biomass than RCS in a 55g.

approximately

1 ppm ammonia --> 2.7 ppm nitrite --> 3.6 ppm nitrate
    Last edited by Rocksor; 07-10-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Wonderful news that you already have the right ammonia to get things started. I really like cholla wood too -- it just seems neat!

You have a nice plan and your thought to place the wood in while cycling is a great one. You will be able to play around with placements without disturbing future inhabitants.

Down the road, I hope you do go with some harlequin rasbora. I've long admired those, so I'm looking forward to seeing them in particular in your tank!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow