· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    You are right about a small colony of RCS, and even one as large as 10, would have negligible impact on a 55g for weeks. I had a 12" pleco, 3" oscar, 3" chocolate cichlid, 3" clown pleco, 5 x 3-4" silver dollars, and 4" vieja in a brand new 240g with cycled filters, and I didn't see any nitrate increase for 3 weeks. That's quite a bit more biomass than RCS in a 55g.

approximately

1 ppm ammonia --> 2.7 ppm nitrite --> 3.6 ppm nitrate
    How did you keep nitrate from rising in that tank? Does it mean it's mostly organics in an established tank that pushes them up?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    How did you keep nitrate from rising in that tank? Does it mean it's mostly organics in an established tank that pushes them up?
    There was so much water in the tank compared to the amount of nitrates produced, I didn't get over the 5ppm measurement with the API nitrate test for 3 weeks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   good luck with the cycle! - wolf_eyes   might as well get  some  now  ...you'll have  it  soon enough  lol - bushwhacker   have a gift! - Agassizii   yay, time to add fish! - Lab_Rat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Stocking plan sounds good, but consider black phantom tetras instead of the black skirts..BS's can be a bit nippy...BP's are just as nice looking, and very peaceful

If you start off with about 3-4 PPM of ammonia to start your cycle, you should be able to add all of the fish at once

With a tank that size, I'd get 10 corys, 12-15 each of the harleys and tetras...never kept rams before, but 4 should work

Ok, looked up the black phantom tetras. They look so close! If I can get them, I will change to those tetras, thanks. The less drama I have in the tank, the happier I am. I'll also consider increasing the other fish stocking like you said of the harleys, corys and tetras. I LOVE Cory cats, so I really look forward to watching them together, foraging.

ok on the flourite, will get that. do they have flourite that is friendly to cory cat whiskers?

Riversgirl me too!!
    55G Community tank, in progress
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :
    Harlequin Rasboras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Cory cats,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    You don't need fluorite substrate for plants to grow, sand will work just fine...I use this in 2 of my planted tanks, inexpensive, readily available (usually), and looks good

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...5350/202314677
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to chime in here and say definitely wait for the tank to be established well before RCS they'll do much better for you. Maybe pickup a little 5g and grow your colony a couple months with a sponge filter while you stock and mature your big tank and once you get a hundred or so shrimp move them over to the big tank. Most Cory will still eat shrimplets if they stumble over them they just don't actively hunt them down.

As for the rest of the stock you mentioned I haven't kept several of what you're interested in so I don't have much to add.

I do find flourite sand to be wonderful for plants and it is my preferred substrate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   good luck with the cycle! - wolf_eyes   might as well get  some  now  ...you'll have  it  soon enough  lol - bushwhacker   have a gift! - Agassizii   yay, time to add fish! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    I decided on black Flourite. I think 3 5lb bags should give me 2inches according to the calculator. maybe a little more because I have a light diffuser along the bottom of the tank to protect from any rocks I put in there. suggestion on hardy plants, set it and forget it ones...not finicky ones? I will also toss in some Marimo balls. love those :)
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    here is a page of some plants that I have read about here for beginners. I like the DWARF HAIRGRASS and maybe MARSILEA MINUTA for the foreground. some of those tall plants for the background. probably leave some empty ground in some spots too. do these grow and expand beyond where you plant it?
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You don't need fluorite substrate for plants to grow, sand will work just fine...I use this in 2 of my planted tanks, inexpensive, readily available (usually), and looks good

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...5350/202314677
    I have used this sand and also Black Diamond blasting sand before and plants do fine in them.
    If you are worried about nutrients you can put about an inch of potting soil (something with no added fertilizers, just dirt, and organic debris) under your sand. The soil will provide plenty of nutrients for your plants for a decent amount of time.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas2k View Post
    here is a page of some plants that I have read about here for beginners. I like the DWARF HAIRGRASS and maybe MARSILEA MINUTA for the foreground. some of those tall plants for the background. probably leave some empty ground in some spots too. do these grow and expand beyond where you plant it?
    so any thoughts on my plant ideas?

Also, I want to use flourite. But I don't know if I have to use sand to protect the corys barbels. Seems to be a lot of debate online about this. Is Seachem Flourite substrate ok for them? or do I have to use the sand to protect them?

thanks!
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    according to member dbosman here :

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=83091

barbel erosion is due to water quality, and not really the substrate. debunked according to him. so maybe I am ok using regular flourite substrate.
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB
    -10 Black skirt tetra
    Future :

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast