· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   

Default Lighting question for my 75g

0 Not allowed!
    Someone in my area is selling a dual bulb 48inch t5 light fixture for a good price. I have two questions: with the right bulbs is this enough light to grow some plants in my tank? Also if so does anyone have an idea where that would put me (low light plants, or medium)?

I wasn't planning on doing plants right off the bat, but now I'm starting to reconsider that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    It would be able to grow medium light plants, some high light maybe. It would also depend on your substrate, how much nutrient you have for plant roots. For my 90g dirted tank, I was able to grow every plant I wanted. I don't have a pic handy from then (they are on the PC) but it was incredible with all the light and nutrients.

I switched to LED when I first started with plants and prefer it over t5 for many reasons.
    1) Replacement bulbs are not required. I was changing my t5 bulbs every 8 months. This is costly in the long run.
    2) Growth is consistent. Spectrum degrades as fluorescent bulb is used
    3) intensity is immediate, the t5 bulb needs to "warm up".
    4) LED diodes do not use more power upon startup. A t5 bulb will degrade faster the more it turn off and on.
    5) LED does not contain mercury. Mercury is a big pollution issue for our waters.

I had to learn now to plant with LED because of the shadows (due to more focused light) and with tall plants blocking out light for lower ones, but I'm much happier with the LEDs.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   

1 Not allowed!
    I would like to go led eventually, but I figured for the price it could be a good start. Ill have to look at the brand again (eco complete or flourite), but I ended up getting the black substrate for planted tanks. Hopefully that will help the plants get started. I haven't thought about what I want to do for co2 at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't even have co2 on my 90g, but you should fine with two t5s on a 75g with special planting substrate. If it's a great price, it will get you started no prob :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Good to hear! I was hoping to stay away from co2 at least at first. Thanks for the information, I feel more confident that I'm heading in the right direction. I've only had 1 planted tank in the past, and it was only a 10g so it feels much harder to figure out lighting on a tank of this size. Plus it's hard to figure out how much light you need because it changes depending on what type of light you have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   So very sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Happy Easter - Silbar   Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Someone in my area is selling a dual bulb 48inch t5 light fixture for a good price. I have two questions: with the right bulbs is this enough light to grow some plants in my tank?
    If you have not already purchased this, I'd advise you to try to find some replacement bulbs (and price those) first. Consider your total cost for this light, in other words.

I ran a (shorter) T5 dual lamp fixture for a good while on my tank before switching to LED. The plants I selected were the easier ones. Some worked and some didn't. Java Fern (lace variety) and a couple of different types of moss, mostly. They did just fine.

I did also find that my T5 gave off some heat. That may or may not be problematic for you, but I thought I'd mention just in case.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   So very sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Happy Easter - Silbar   Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    It took a bit of looking, but I was able to dig up an old photo of a plant I grew under this light (the T5). Here it is, if you are interested.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...61#post1337261

I should note that this plant also did just fine after I switched out the lighting to my Current LED. I really enjoy the customizable settings of my current fixture. Those various settings add a whole lot to the ambiance of the room, and that aspect brings me a smile. It is all about what you personally want and which attributes will get you there.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Found this one finally:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...09#post1349109

Pretty sure that this was also taken before I upgraded our lighting.

Hopefully these might help you in your decision with your tank. Truly, it is your small decisions that all add up together to create your own tank. Go with what pleases you, with what fits best into your life, with the pathways that you find to work for you -- then do not forget to enjoy where you are walking.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow