· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default I think my betta is dying

0 Not allowed!
    So my tank paras are good and I change the water weekly so I know my betta likely isnít sick.

He lays at the bottom of his tank all day and as of about a week ago heís not eating anymore.

I donít want him to suffer but I donít really know what else to do? My grandma says to flush him but I cant do that to him knowing heís still alive :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   So very sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Happy Easter - Silbar   Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Please do not flush him - your gut is correct on that. Please do not ever flush a still living fish. (or any other critter, for that matter). There are humane methods to euthanize, if it becomes necessary.

Sorry to hear that you think he is dying. Can you perhaps post a photo? Are you able to post his water test results?
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hereís the best picture I can get; heís been laying around like this for about 2 weeks, but for a while he would still come up for food. Then about a week ago he stopped coming up for food. Iíll post the paras when I get home

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Awww :(
    Is he alone in the tank? Which tank again? Is he in your grandmother's tank with the ummmm...platies? maybe? Or was it a 5g? Can't remember....

How old is he?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default I think my betta is dying

0 Not allowed!
    Hereís my water paras

I know PH is high, but my city in general has high PH, so itís always been over 8 in my tanks.

And no, heís by himself in a 10g

I have two bettas, Ares in a 10 and Hermes in a 5. My grandmas tank is at her house and itís a 20g but her apartment is down the hall from mine so I do the harder upkeep on hers as well.

Iíve had Ares about a year and a half. I donít know how old he was when I got him at the store though.

I was gonna change the water, and treat with paraguard for a week. Like I said I donít think heís sick but Iíd rather try than not do anything at all.

Heís still moving around a little bit, as he moved from that spot on the plant to behind his heater.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

2 Not allowed!
    Tx for the param pic. In the pic, it looks like there is 0.5ppm ammonia. Do you have any Prime?

A water change is a great idea. If you change out 50%, add a tad bit more Prime to new water to detoxify the rest of the ammonia in the tank (0.25ppm), so 0.25ml for 10 gallons.

There is no problem with your tap water?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    No no problems with the tap water. Itís my water change day anyways so I always change between 25-50% and treat with prime

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok great :) See if he perks up at all after the WC
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    No need to treat with meds if you have no idea if he needs them.

1 1/2 years is about the longest I've ever been able to keep bettas from the box stores; it may just be his time, soon

Do the WC, condition with Prime, and wait and see, is what I would do
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentĒ - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How's Ares after the WC?

I'll just tell you some ways to humanely euthanize.
    Clove Oil- A few drops mixed in a bowl of water will act like an anesthetic and Ares will fall asleep. Add more clove Oil until gills no longer move four one minute.

Ice Slurry- I think he is too large for the ice slurry method, he is more then 1.5 inches? The ice slurry method involves adding the fish to a container of ice water. The fish will pass in seconds. Not recommended for fish larger than 4cm though! The ice will not do the job.

I can't even write the other method. But ž sure you know what it is. Placing the fish in a bag helps.

Make sure he is euthanized humanely before sending him off to the ocean (flushing) please!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-09-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    -Kat