· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Water change debate

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard a lot of different opinions on how and how often to change your water. I've been doing about 35% once a week because I've heard that taking 50% or more could throw your tank into a cycle and I've also heard the more water changes the better and the more water taken out the better. Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

5 Not allowed!
    I think you will find that there are as many opinions as there are hobbyists. i think a lot depends on the tank and all of the other factors such as stocking density and type of fish. I personally feel that 25% or so a week works well for the average situation. of course this is only my opinion.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

6 Not allowed!
    In my experience, removing water and replacing with fresh, dechlorinated water will not cause a re-cycle. It's the beneficial bacteria that maintains the stability in the tank and this is found mostly in the filter media, and to a lesser extent on decor and in substrate. Very little, if any, is in the water column.

I do 50-60% water changes with no ill effects.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    I was always advised to never take out more than two-thirds of the tank's water. When I do mine, I siphon out about that much, leaving one third in the tank. Because one of my tanks is heavily planted, and the plants act as natural filters, I don't change as often as I used to. But when I do, I make it good. Fish are fine and parameters have remained stable. This tank is also sparsely stocked.

It's an individual thing, depending on a lot of factors. If what you are now doing is working well, I wouldn't change it.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I have a somewhat over populated tank and a lot of plecos and the 35% I was taking out wasnt enough. The ammonia and nitrates stayed at 0 ppm but nitrates were always higher than I like so I just started taking out 50% and am gonna test to see how that works out. Thanks for all the input

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    sounds like you made a good choice. you might want to consider doing a 50 twice a week.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    As already stated above, depends on the tank and it's inhabitants, but large water changes done correctly with proper filtration/media should never affect a cycle

I do 60-70% weekly WC's on all of my tanks weekly
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I have been keeping and breeding angelfish pretty much since I started keeping fish, along with other SA fish and/or fish from softwater basins. So my water changes can be more frequent when I observe a problem such as a wound, or abnormal behavior since my fish in particular respond well to clean surroundings and fresh water. Breeding can be coaxed with WCs and good nutrition.

But on the other hand, atm, I am not intentionally breeding fish and no particular issues. So I feel in my heavily planted, low bioload tanks with adult fish where the nitrate is used up by plants as fast as it is produced, my concern is only TDS. Maybe by stretching the WCs to 1.5-2 weeks from weekly causes my TDS to rise to 150, but one 40-50% WC brings it back down to low 100s, and that's acceptable to me in this situation.

General rule: As long as your tank TDS is within 100 points of your tap water, you are ok.

I now keep a dirted blackwater tank where I don't do many WCs (now that I've treated for parasites) and I'm looking at topping off with filtered rainwater or distilled water. I've recently taken concern with preserving freshwater, so I try to stretch it as much as possible.

I'll just restate that WCs are very helpful for fish in distress, and a must for regulating fish hormone levels, TDS and especially nitrate levels.

You are completely correct to increase WCs IMO. There is no problem with doing back to back WCs to get your nitrates to a ideal level. Going forward, follow your altered WC schedule and hopefully it will be enough to bring it down to 5-10ppm after a WC. Another option is to add floating plants such as dwarf water lettuce or pothos growing emersed out of the tank. Plants use nitrates as fertilizer and will help keep them lower between WCs. These particular plants are easy to grow and are huge nutrient hogs
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    TDS and ph are factors to consider indeed, if they are significantly different between the source (tap, well, softened, etc) then more frequent, less volume changes may be in order

I'm lucky that my source and tank water are close in those aspects, once a week WC's per tank is enough for me, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Personally I do water changes differently for different circumstances and different tanks. I have a tendency to run well stocked tanks and so standard routine for me is about 75% per week. My bedroom tank never exceeds 20ppm nitrAtes as it stands currently but still gets the large water changes. My QT gets them twice weekly unless it interferes with a med schedule.
    Bettas currently because neither is in a tank after a disaster a couple weeks ago get every other day about 50%. Shrimp are on a less is more trial run in one tank and the other keeps 20-30% weekly.
    If I use ferts it's always a 50% plus per week on the tank, meds get bi-weekly or more as med allows... It's all based on the tank, setup, fish, water params, etc and all of my tanks needs are different so many get different treatment within my own collection.... I can't imagine how some people can insist that it must be one way or its not right... Every single tank is different. :)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast