· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No, the Prime helps with that.

De-gassing just helps if you have alot of dissolved CO2 in your tap water...tank water that is super-aturated with certain gasses can cause problems, see here

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/8/fish
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    I have a python also but am not familiar with this method or what off gassing is? Can you please explain if you dont mind?
    This method has two benefits. Micro bubbles will stick to all sorts of things, most importantly (for this topic) the detritus/particulates that accumulate in aquariums. As the bubbles stick to all that debris in a tank, they eventually float to the surface where skimming via a fine net or surface skimmer can effortlessly remove all the crud, as demonstrated in my video ^

The second benefit is to get rid of gasses that have been dissolved into your water. Tap water is under a LOT of pressure and there are all sorts of gasses trapped in it. By slowly closing the valve on your Python, you will hit a sweet spot in which the valve causes cavitation in the water and frees all those gasses that are dissolved in the water. Those 100 billion bubbles you see in my video is a testament as to how much gas is actually dissolved in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    That is really neat! And your tanks are stunning.
    Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    Large water changes = better coloration, lower nitrates, and clearer water.
    So much this ^

We all like a breath of fresh air. Aquatic species like fresh/clean water. All my animals and plants go nuts from my large water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    so call me thick but what technique is used to produce these micro bubbles?
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Not thick at all.

I do it by slowly closing off the valve on my Python during refill. Once you get it near the sweet spot, you'll hear a hissing noise from the valve and you'll start to see the micro bubbles coming out of the hose into the tank. The more you close the valve off, the greater the number of bubbles produced.

*Caution* I have closed it too much on some rare occasions and have caused the Python's faucet attachment (the plastic piece that you screw onto the brass adapter) to pop off due to the pressure building up in the line. It makes a bit of a wet mess, but no permanent damage as the pieces pops right back on again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, sounds pretty easy. and I enjoyed the video.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    I have a python also but am not familiar with this method or what off gassing is? Can you please explain if you dont mind?
    I'm sorry, I totally missed this. Well I'm glad others have answered.

The reason I age or gas-off my new water is because I like my new water to match tank water as close as possible. When the water runs from the tap, the pH is higher than if I let it sit for 24hrs. It occurred to me that with large WCs, the pH was shifting in the tank, which I felt was undue stress for my angels. I also fought some mad Black Beard Algae in my 90g. It grew rampant with fluctuating co2, and receded to almost nothing with more constant parameters. I got into the habit of aging my water for all my tanks, I just prefer it, feel better aging my water.

I mentioned the micro-scrubbing technique (for cleaning the aquarium) because I figured it would off-gas the water in a similar way as an airstone, I'm still not positive, but the micro-scubbing technique to fill up my aging bin seems to allow me to run water and change water at the same time.

I'm still too particular to run water straight into the tank. Just my OCD.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I have found that most people who give "controversy" to the benefits of the water change are those who dont want to do water changes as often as recommended.
    Am NOT referring to OP, beginners to hobby should be asking these kinds of questions.

Yeah, I was just in this conversation this week.

Here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-nitrates.html

As far as eliminating micro-bubbles, stuff the hard plastic end with some filter floss, sponge material, etc...
    This slows down flow, traps bubbles in wand, and releases them as large bubbles through water that rise to surface and disperse in air.

I started using this method because, before doing it this way, I would see the mucus layer of my discus shedding thickly into the water column while giving a water change. There fins would clamp, they would huddle in corner, and the mucus would be coming off bodies in folds. Some fish are extremely sensitive to the micro-bubbles.
    Last edited by discusluv; 07-06-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    I have found that most people who give "controversy" to the benefits of the water change are those who dont want to do water changes as often as recommended.
    I see this often on FB. Someone asks how often they should do water changes and you always get a half-dozen folks claiming that water changes are necessary and post up photos of their tanks that haven't had any water changes in months.

I always challenge them to measure their TDS levels in those tanks, but unsurprisingly most of them do not have TDS meters. The few that do have meters, however, are always a bit shocked when they test their tank water and find levels up in the 500-800ppm range after doing nothing but topping off with their tap water for months and no water changes.

When things get that bad, it becomes dangerous for the animals. Not only do the animals have a more difficult time with osmoregulation when the water is saturated like that, but they also become more susceptible to fatal osmotic shock in the event that the owner finally decides to do a water change and the salt/mineral levels drop drastically.

Unless your source water is awful, I always advocate large water changes. The bottom line is that you're not going to lose a cycle or shock anything in the tank unless 1) you have let things get really bad, 2) you don't match temperatures, and 3) you forget to add dechlorinator or you inadvertently kill your nitrifying bacteria off by cleaning your filter too thoroughly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Agree @ BluewaterBoof - yes, yes, and yes. :)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast