· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Most of my tanks are in the basement as well, I use a python on the large tanks (33g-120g) drain into the drain hole using gravity. I refill the tanks with de-gassed water from a portable holding bin that I initially fill with a python hose. The smaller 12g and under tanks, I just use buckets, drain them outside to water the plants and just use extra gassed water from my bin.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I can't do it! I just can't!

I do use the micro-scrubbing technique to off-gas the water. I think it works......
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I do use the micro-scrubbing technique to off-gas the water. I think it works......
    For those not familiar:

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I can't do it! I just can't!

I have a python also but am not familiar with this method or what off gassing is? Can you please explain if you dont mind?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    For those not familiar:

That is really neat! And your tanks are stunning.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    I love this debate lol. For me personally, I watched a documentary that took place in the 90s and it showed asian discus breeders doing extreme water changes on their discus. This led me to start doing it with the small Discus Hans discus I was receiving at my work and this kept fungus off of them and allowed us to keep them longer without them being declared "stunted". I started visibly seeing brighter and more beautiful coloration in the discus. You can see the bright coloration of the Colbalts shown in my signature picture below. That picture was taken soon after a water change that went so low, the discus were actually laying on their sides. I never saw any sort of extreme rise in ammonia or bacterial blooms. I now continue to follow this practice in my own tanks but with some back ups to be safe. I have now started using a Little Fishies media reactor filled with matrix ceramics by Seachem. Although I do not feel it necessary, I will also occasionally use an inner cap full of Seachem's Remediation. Here is a sample of how low I drain my 25 gallon. Nitrates never reach over 5 and ammonia does not register using the API Ammonia Test Kit. I have had much debate with my co-workers and other hobbyists about this. All I can say is, for me, the proof is in the pudding. Large water changes = better coloration, lower nitrates, and clearer water.
    tank drain.jpg
    media reactor.jpg
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    I have a python also but am not familiar with this method or what off gassing is? Can you please explain if you dont mind?
    Just keep the fill tube end of the Python above the water level when filling your tanks, and you shouldn't have to worry about off-gassing....matching the new water temp to the tank water temp is very important, too
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Just keep the fill tube end of the Python above the water level when filling your tanks, and you shouldn't have to worry about off-gassing....matching the new water temp to the tank water temp is very important, too
    I think that's my question, what is off gassing. I always match the temp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    I think that's my question, what is off gassing. I always match the temp
    I do have ammonia in my tap water. Does it help with that?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast