· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    You too, Kat! Definitely planning on going dirted with this tank.

Hey, here's another thought/question. I am leaning toward trying a small paladium with guppies (or some other brackish-friendly nano) and a spot for this crab. But that would take at least a gallon of water capacity away, between the air space and a big rock or branch. This thing has to fit in a space 19" wide. Anybody aware of a 7-10 gallon tall or hex kit? That might be about right. If I can't find one I might try the Spec V.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Look at the Fluval Flex. There's a 9g and a 15g. Components work similarly to the Spec V

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-FLEX-G...Bflex%2B9&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Flex-5...fluval+flex+15

Edit: now that I think of it these may not work because of the light in the hood structure. Are you thinking of something growing out of the top?
    Last edited by SueD; 07-01-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Look at the Fluval Flex. There's a 9g and a 15g. Components work similarly to the Spec V

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-FLEX-G...Bflex%2B9&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Flex-5...fluval+flex+15

Edit: now that I think of it these may not work because of the light in the hood structure. Are you thinking of something growing out of the top?
    Yeah, that might work better as a paladium and still have some room for fish. I'm thinking I'll keep it covered, but I'd like some air room at the top. Not a bad price, either! Thanks for the help. Keep those ideas coming, boys and girls!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    As for the kits question... Since building everything back up I've become quite fond of the Marina kits. The filters aren't amazing but I just pull the inserts and drop ceramics in the bottom and cram some course sponge in and have had great luck. The lights are more than sufficient for low light plants and planting heavily, they grow swords well enough but that's about as high light as I'd go plant wise. Crypts, Java, anubias, vals, mosses and lily all do very well for me in them. I assume some stems would too but stems seem to hate my hard water here so I can't say for sure which. They have 10g and 20g kits and I've got two of them. They also have the black silicone which I prefer but isn't a deal breaker for me but it's a nice touch in my opinion. They are priced mid range and always seem to be available in both sizes on Amazon.

Fish... Any live bearers will make her baby's or you can do something like Danios and a little research on setting up a spawning mop or the small stone method should yield some babies without getting over run. Emerald rasboras and celestial pearl danios are less baby eaters than zebra danios and aren't usually too difficult to find. Feed some rotifers and a good quality flake and they spawn fairly easy in my experience. Other danios have been a bit more of a challenge and or more difficult to find. Danios seriously like mops though in my experience and you don't have to remove the mops for fry to hatch if you aren't trying to make tons of babies. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Stem plants in my nano have been:
    Rotala rotundifolia or indica
    Ludwigia repens
    Stargrass
    Hygro rosenervig (prettier than polysperma)
    More ideas:
    Baby tears (HC)
    Mini reneikii
    Staurogyne repens
    Should all do well with dirt and low light.

Stick to rosette varieties for swords they are very pretty, stay smaller and love dirt (as you know). Tip: To keep sword plants smaller, try planting them in a pot (in the substate).
    Crypts do well but tend to grow tall (like to the surface) when crowded, except for parva which is very slow growing.

Nvmnd, I went to search small crypts because I forget the names, and came across this
    https://www.petcha.com/aquarium-cryptocoryne-plants/
    Lots of good info on crypts.

I have the bright green one that you leave alone, I forget the name again but it stays nice and short. It doesn't take up a lot of room, but spreads nicely, I just think it would make a great nano crypt.

Lol, I want to start up my 7.9 Fluval cube now! See what this thread did? Lol! I'll have to try some bright green crypt in there!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-02-2018 at 04:16 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just thought of these:
    Blyxia
    Mini ludwigia sp red
    Maybe even helferi! I've grown this well in dirted tanks. Might need higher lights though.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @sfsamm You say stern plants hate your hard water? Have you tried wisteria? It grew out of control in my mom's hard water tank, the pH was above 8 and I stopped counting kh/gh drops at 15-20.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    @sfsamm You say stern plants hate your hard water? Have you tried wisteria? It grew out of control in my mom's hard water tank, the pH was above 8 and I stopped counting kh/gh drops at 15-20.
    Yep everyone says wisteria likes hard water but I have one little nub that basically maintains itself around 2" wide and an inch tall... It melted into nothing except that one little piece that floats around doing nothing for months now lol... Crypts though love it and they are supposed to be less likely to do well lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestions, Kat. If you figure out what that bright green crypt is (or would like to send me some, wink, wink, nudge, nudge), it sounds like a good one to try. I think I'm going to go for one of the less expensive kits, and add a little supplementary light. So hopefully nothing is off limits, light-wise. I've been reading that crypts, hairgrass, java moss, java fern, and swords can do well in slightly brackish water. I am thinking some sort of mini-iwagumi kind of thing, with the "mountain" sticking up above the water surface.

This whole thing is going to be waaaaaay more expensive than we thought, though, so we are currently re-evaluating how badly we really want to save this $3 crab... :) I suspect we'll go forward, though. Thanks, everybody.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hi Tom! I think it's c.pontederifolia

Here is a pic of it before I dismantled the tank.
    1516925872624724418752.jpg
    I transplanted it to my Finnex tank.

I asked for an ID a few times, but never got one :( The name Pontederifolia stands out, or possibly undulata.

I don't have a ton, maybe 7 or 8 plants, but if you'd like one or two plants, I can do that :) it's in my slow growing tank and I don't want to lose it completely, but if you're ok with only a couple samples, PM me.
    -Kat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast