· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good luck on your exam! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Lol! No kidding.

This got me thinking:
    I often wonder if we are any smarter than primitives were-- the great anthropologist Claude Levi-Strauss stated that we weren't. The idea of "progressive" discovery of man and an increasing intelligence merely a "way of thinking about oneself 'in time;' but, despite technological advancement, we are the same primitive human we were. Sure, our technology has progressed, but is it beneficial? In some-lights it is and in some it is not. I wont state what I feel are the blessings and curses of technology- others may not agree with my assessments.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    A major problem is that our morality often doesn't catch up to our technology.

New technological advances help reshape our culture, and sometimes not in good ways.

Take cell phones, texting and online gaming, as well as excessive use of social media. All of this is being substituted for one-on-one, in-person social contact and interaction. Kids today are growing up without learning vital social skills which can only be obtained through personal relationships and interactions. The machines keep us apart from one another, and keep us anonymous so we don't have to take responsibility for any abuses or bullying we do when using them. We're going to be a society of very lonely and maladjusted seniors in decades to come, because the couple walking along the sidewalk would rather text each other than speak directly to each other, side-by-side. We've forgotten how to look one another in the eye and sincerely communicate with body language as well as words. This is why much of what gets communicated via cyber is misunderstood and misinterpreted -- because the rest of the language is absent.

I know I'm getting off topic. Getting back to smart kitties, my Oscar is among the smartest.

When I was visiting our local animal shelter as a petter (they need lots of petters), I was petting the kittens, one-by-one, as they jumped up onto my lap. Along came Oscar, and every time I petted him, he licked my hand. The more I petted him, the more he licked. And the more he licked my hand, the more he got petted. Guess who went home with me in the cat carrier? That's one SMART feline!

When it came time to get a second cat, I was in the cat room with all of these aloof, stuck-up felines who wouldn't give me a moment's notice. I would go over to pet them, and they would cringe and walk away. Along came Skinner who walked right up to me and started nudging me with his head and purring, eager to be petted and very friendly. Another smart kitty. He went home with me, too.

Both of them have been living the good life ever since.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    reminds me of a door my son and I knocked on. the people had a sign that said beware of attack cat. pretty soon along comes this pretty little tabby that proceeds to rub on our legs and flop down on his back and wiggles around. my son laughed his butt off. he loves cats even though he is very allergic.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   So very sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Happy Easter - Silbar   Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Haha! Pretty cat, discusluv -- even if a naughty one.

My sister and her family have an all-black cat. He is very dog-like, in his (delightful) personality. He loves to participate in the 'family walks', but only the evening ones. (They have two dogs, so walks happen often.)

I'm curious about being a volunteer petter. My daughter would love to do that with me! How do we avoid coming home with all the animals that steal our hearts?
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Most animal shelters need petters. If yours is close by, you might go there and ask if they need petters. They'll probably be very happy to have you. I would advise you to take along a thick towel or quilt to cover your lap, as kitties like to knead with their claws while being petted.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.