· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default min shrimp habitat

0 Not allowed!
    opinions please. I would like to know what the minimum gallons would be for group of shrimp? I have a 2 gallon hex i was given that i was thinking of setting up with a sponge filter. I am not sure what type of shrimp or other inverts that might work.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You could house some neocardinia in it if you can get a stable cycle and keep it where room temps are stable. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    That would be the difficult part -- keeping the parameters stable in such a small amount of water.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yep STABLE is the magic word for shrimp. I have found a well-planted tank with dirt as a base is far more stable. I have a dirted vase in my kitchen with a ramshorn snail. Essentially Walstad method. I feel a dirted tank cycles itself as the dirt breaks down and provides ammonia for BB. If ADA soil is the same, I'd use that for such a small tank.

I've kept neo shrimp in 5.5 gallon and 46 gallon tanks at the same time. The shrimp population in the 5.5g never touched the numbers in the 46g, so you probably won't get a ton of shrimplets, but you'll have a nice colony appropriate for the tank size. What kind of filter did you have planned for this tank?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I was planning on a sponge filter. I have never kept shrimp before. It is amazing how popular they have become over the past few years or so.
    Brian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sponge filter sounds perfect :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am definitely aware of the added challenge of water stability in a small vol of water. Temp is my biggest concern. Our house temps tend to never go below 72 but. Sometimes in summer we let it get to maybe 78. I would be a little worried about how somewhat rapid shifts would cause problems. Depending on the species preferred temps I may use a small beta bowl type heater.
    Brian