· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

Default Seachem Plant Fertilizers

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone do this daily dosing of Seachem fertilizers?

I had been just adding fertilizers 24 hours after water change, but now that summer is here I thought I would try this daily dosing that Seachem recommends on website.

https://www.seachem.com/downloads/ch...Dose-Chart.pdf

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't use Seachem ferts because they make you buy a dozen different products, so I can't give any advice based on experience with them, but I do dose ferts daily.

At first I was dosing per Estimative Index, but then switched over to PPS Pro as I was getting the same results without wasting ferts using the excessive dosing of E.I.

It's more of a chore to dose daily, but it is one I don't mind as it only takes a minute or two as I have my fert solutions pre-made. I just use a cough syrup measuring cup/lid to measure out my 15mL doses. Easy peasy.

I like doing daily doses as it keeps everything more or less stable. I've become more anal about my tanks over time, and one thing I strive for is stability. In my opinion, I feel it is better for the system to have stable amounts of nutrients/parameters at all times as opposed to hitting the system with a massive dose on occasion. In my experience, fluctuating nutrient levels always lead to some nuisance algae popping up here and there, whether it be on the plants, glass, or equipment in the tank. Since switching to a consistent daily routine with my dosing, algae is virtually non-existent in my freshwater tanks. I don't even remember the last time I had to clean my glass. I'm guessing maybe two months ago I scraped off a very light dusting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes I have tried the seachem recommended routine.

But as with boof its easier not to have 8 different bottles of whatever every time. I premix dry ferts myself and dose. Waaay less expensive, and I know exactly what tanks are getting and how much.

Did you have a particular question about their daily recommendations?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I used that Seachem line and dosing schedule years ago. It just became too much of an inconvenience for me. Right now I'm not dosing anything on a regular basis, but have thought about using this all in one fertilizer which has some pretty good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/NilocG-Aquati...m+plants&psc=1

There's also a Thrive + version for high light, CO2 tanks and one for a specifically shrimp-only tank. All Thrive products are said to be shrimp/invertebrate safe, however.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    No particular questions as yet. More interested in others general experience with the schedule for now.

I will be dosing all but the Trace, and ordered the Advance to try. I used the Trace for awhile and this seemed to coincide with my first appearance of BBA on wood, heater, and intakes.
    It seems to have subsided some, but hasn't gone away completely. Overall it doesnt bother me too much. The plants get touches of it minimally, and I cut off those areas.
    I have to say, though, keeping plants healthy, the ferts, getting water chemistry right is much harder for me than keeping discus.
    Maybe when I eventually get a CO2 system I will have an easier time of it.

Im sure i will have more questions later-- thanks for your input.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Trace is as important as any of them and I would advise not to skip it as your apt to end up deficient somewhere and have a new algae issue. Just my $.02.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had heard that if you use root tabs, which I do, that you didn't need the Trace?
    I actually have some Trace left, had just stopped using it because it seemed to be the cause of the BBA ( started when I had began using Trace).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just a question, is this for your discus tank? What is the hardness of your tank water? Which plants are you trying to grow?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My discus tank and my geophagus/tetra tank.
    Hardness is KH 3/ GH 5.

In 60 gallon/Discus tank:
    crypt spiralis
    Leopard val
    anubias butterfly, coin, pinto
    Sword "Frans Stoffel"

180 gallon
    anubias hastifolia, nana, coffeefolia
    Java fern needleleaf, and regular Java fern
    Italian Val and leopard val
    Swords:" Frans Stoffel" and "Ozelot"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I asked because my tanks are soft water, in my tank with kh 1/ gh 2, I have trouble growing almost all plants. I really think it's the soft water that holds back growth. I've found the easiest way to grow plants in softwater is to add root tabs (as you have already). All the plants in the 60g except for the anubias takes their nutrients mostly up from the root. So you might not need as much nutrient in the water column as the 180g with java fern and anubias (unless of course you have a ton of anubias in the 60g). I also have noticed java fern is a huge nutrient hog.

I just wonder what kind of an effect it would have on plant growth if I raised my kh and gh to 4 or more without adding any extra fertilizers.

Keep in mind that all those additives add to the TDS, you are most likely aware, just wanted to make sure.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat