· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mucoid bacteria

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default mucoid bacteria

0 Not allowed!
    For everyone who gave me advice on what to do with my filthy tank, I'll tell you what happened. the night that I found the intake basket in the filter completely clogged, I took it off the end of the tube and there was a complete blockage of some thick mucous. In the morning I decided I had to try and flush the tubes. I opened the cannister and the entire thing was covered in thick mucus. Every last medium, all the baskets, the hoses, everything.

I set up a container with a heater, filter and lights as well as two air bubblers. I had just taken that container apart less than two weeks ago. With everything seeded by this bacteria, I removed the rocks, caves, pebbles every last drop of water and scrubbed out the inside with vinegar. One of my housemates went out and picked up replacement hoses and mediums for the cannister. I worked on it from 9am until 8pm. I'm still waiting for the fluval guy to answer my e-mail, they are pretty good about that. I'm afraid to put the unit back together without knowing if any water gets into where the propeller sits in the engine. Meanwhile, I put cichlid sand into the newly cleaned aquarium. I would have gone to lowes, but I wasn't the one picking it up and wasn't going to criticize someone who ran all over town to get parts. I admit I was swearing my head off. I had just gotten my tank to cycle and then this. even if I had vacuumed the gravel, it was too late, it would have been right back in no time. All my fish were having respiratory problems which cleared significantly after I put them in the clean water. I'm changing a third of the water twice a day. I simply don't have the room for a huge one. They all have hiding places and are eating.

I rinsed the sand well, but after I put it in the tank and added water, the water was completely clouded. That was Sunday. now it is tues. Does anyone else use a fluval that can tell me if I can run the filter to clear up all the fine stuff? I can't put the fish back in with that much particulate. It doesn't really look like actual sand. I can see that on the bottom, but all water above that just isn't settling out.

If there is even a chance that the propeller is effected, I'll have to replace that too. I can't put it back if it is going to reseed the whole tank. What ever bacteria that was, it was evil.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    If you still have your HOB, I would run that with Poly-Fil fiber from Walmart to remove the fine particles from the tank. As for the canister, water always gets into the impeller. If any air bubbles are in the impeller chamber, you would hear it rattle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fairfield...&wl13=&veh=sem

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Be sure to clean the impeller. Are you saying that you are completely replacing the media with all new media? If that is the case then you will be starting your cycle all over again.

It may just be that your canister is filtering out all the OLD junk that was in your tank and it got clogged up. I would just rinse VERY WELL the media in old tank water and replace it back into a cleaned canister, rather than exchanging it. Be sure to clean the impeller and tubing also. The newly cleaned canister should be good to go. You might have to clean the canister more frequently at first but once you get a handle on the problem (over feeding, etc) it should start to clear out.
    Also you might get one of these for cleaning the canister tubes rather than replacing the tubes. https://www.amazon.com/Inches-Filter...m+hose+cleaner
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    What a pain :( My feelings are you are seeing all the signs of your tank trying to cycle, but times 10 all at once. More fish creates more ammonia creates more bacteria and orther pathogens.

I think it's a really good idea that you cleaned the substate fully, it was only adding to the ammonia buildup. Plus, the cichlid rift sand will mineralize the water to suit your fish. Perfect :)

If you do have any Beneficial Bacteria preserved in the filter media, you could add some of the media to the filter on the bin to keep BB alive (if you haven't already).

I'm with Silbar, I would be rinsing the media with old tank water.
    These for the tubes.
    https://www.amazon.com/yueton-Aquari...s+for+cleaning.

If there is no BB preserved in the filter media, you will be starting out new again. Meaning, fish-in cycle, again. Your BB will no doubt be taking a hit as it is, so be prepared. Move the media from the filter on the bin with the fish to the main tank to help. Leave that media and add rinsed media from the Fluval canister to the bin filter while fish are in the bin. You'll be moving the Fluval media back to its canister with the fish to the tank.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default should I change

0 Not allowed!
    Getting rid of everything seems counter intuitive and radical, but you should have seen what this bacteria had done. I've seen some really bad bacteria in amphibians, mammals and birds, but I have never seen anything like this. The cannister contents, except the ceramic rings, were taken out and and rinsed thoroughly sometime in the two weeks prior to this because the return spout had been slow and weak. I had cleaned the tubing to the air stones, scrubbed out the filter basket, vacuumed the gravel and rinsed the large particle sponges. The cannister had been clogged. What it clogged this time, that stuff had grown back plus worse than the time before that. I still had a cycling tank, showing nitrites and nitrates. After seeing the filter basket (at the end of the tube that pulls water into the filter) completely clogged and took it out to find it full of that thick mucus as well as the rest of the in water tube.

Upon opening the filter, it was so overgrown with tan and clear thick mucus that I couldn't tell where the sponges met the sides of the cannister. The content of every internal basket, (charcoal, polishing pads, ceramic ring and the small particle filters) they were all full of the same material. As each container was lifted out, thick, putrid mucus hung out on the sides and through the bottom. This stuff was evil. I had no choice but to trash everything. if I just put it back in after rinsing it, it was going to regrow.

I have the new parts for the tubing and air stones, the black long fluval tubes, all the mediums in each basket, the basket in the water. While I waited for all the parts, within roughly three days, there was slime growing on the airstone tubing in the temporary fish container. I had scrubbed the tubing and scrubbed a few rocks with antibacterial soap (if they had pits like the lava rocks I left them out). There is no substrate on the bottom of the temporary fish container. They also have their heater which I scrubbed and thermometer. They look better now than they did in months.

I know it sounds overdone, but no matter how much I scrubbed things, the risk of having the bacteria coming back and having to go through this whole process again was just too great a risk. Oh, yeah, the filter I have on the container is one I had frankensteined from my earlier filters. it was scrubbed out before use and the filter material was new. The filter now contains slimy crap. I am doing a 25% water change every 12 hours as the container is not as big as the tank. They have their light and the water is kept at 81F.

I have not yet put together the filter because I wanted to get some advice on what I can use to kill bacteria on the propeller without harming the fish. Things that are unable to be cleaned have been ready to put together, but I don't know what to use on that piece. So far, fluval doesn't seem to have any ideas.

Also, has anyone ever heard of or used tetra clear water? It is supposed to take fine particles, like the haze that has been in my tank from the sand and stick several together so it is easier for the filter to get out of the water. One of my housemates picked it up, she just saw it and brought it home. I don't want to damage my filter and it doesn't say how big the particles are. So if anyone knows anything about that product and if it won't kill the filter or fish, and knows of a cleaner that is safe to use on the propellar without damaging it I would very much appreciate it. My apologies for the lag time on answering. I've been ill and getting to the computer is difficult. Your patience is appreciated.

I think the damage was done early on and just kept growing.

marc4
    Last edited by marc4; 06-30-2018 at 11:33 PM. Reason: hit the wrong button

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This morning I took apart the impellar, cleaned that and the inner well. I also took apart the primer and cleaned that really well. The filter was only running for about an hour and most of the tank was clear. I'd been semi napping and when I got off the bed, I fell backwards into the temporary container the fish were in. (my legs don't bend, so any scuff or small object usually makes me fall),
    It seems funny now, but the container cracked and water started pouring out of the container. Fortunately, my housemates were home and able to help. I got the fish put back into their regular tank.
    to give you a good idea of how bad the bacteria is, the fish were in that container for what, under two weeks. I'd done two smaller water changes a day since the container was smaller, and vacuumed what I could get at. When the rocks were taken out to catch the fish, that slimy crap filled the water. It had attached itself to the underside of the rocks, the air stones and air stone tubes, and the entire temporary filter. I had a gorgeous apache peacock that died yesterday.
    I know that being able to save some medium would have been ideal, but this wasn't a rinse with some thing and put them back problem. The speed that this stuff grows and takes over everything is pretty scary. I won't be comfortable for a few weeks until I know for sure it is gone. If it comes back, I don't know what I'll do. Had this been algae, I would have kept the small particle medium and the ceramic rings. Its been a frustrating ride. I don't know when or how the bacteria got into the system other than the early on spillage of flakes and before that over feeding. I suspect that all the trouble I had when the first filter started getting slimy within three days of cleaning was actually this bacteria starting up. I looked online to see if I could find out what the bacteria was, but couldn't find anything that was even close.

When first put in new sand, do you just rinse until there is no more dust, or is silt common? I had rinsed my sand first and thought I had gotten all the dust out. I also wanted the sand to be wet so it wouldn't be a mess when I poured water into the tank. I still need to get more sand in. I built some structures that will give the fish some hiding areas. but have a ways to go to recreate what I had.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    if you still have the old stuff like hoses and media, I would soak them in 2-3 gallons of water with quite a bit of hydrogen peroxide, which will kill anything organic.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so sorry :(((( It really sounds awful. Use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the slime instead of antibacterial soap. I never use soap on anything aquarium, not even my hands before going in the tank. I use Peroxide and a good scrub. It's cheap, it kills everything, you can soak things in it. The biproduct of H202 is oxygen. I'd at least use bleach over soap to disinfect objects (not your hands! Obviously). But using bleach oftentimes involves dechlorinating with a water conditioner and Prime can get costly. On the other hand, you can overdose a cheap water conditioner to dechlorinate pure bleach. I have yet to research (for myself) if dying out makes bleach soaked items safe.

Idk how to help you with the slime :( I have no idea what it could be?

It's not A LOT of bioslime/biofilm? Does it have an odor?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Biofilm info

Quote Originally Posted by https://tanninaquatics.com/blogs/the-tint-1/biopellets-another-useful-idea-from-the-salty-side
    Aquarium Biofilms form when bacteria adhere to surfaces in some form of watery environment and begin to excrete a slimy, gluelike substance, consisting of sugars and other substances, that can stick to all kinds.....

Frightening, "aquarium armageddon scenarios" could play out. For example, in an extremely overcrowded aquarium (or a very small one) with marginal husbandry and filtration, with a huge amount of biofilm (relative to tank volume), there is always the possibility that bacteria within the biofilms can multiply extremely rapidly, reducing the level of oxygen in the rest of the aquarium, which could lead to a dramatic reduction of CO2 being released out of the water. This, in turn, could lead to CO2 levels rising quickly and sharply, potentially causing asphyxiation to the animals in the tank- including the lovable nitrifying bacteria that support it.
    It can reproduce really quickly if the conditions are right and can get quite gooey and thick. I'm just wondering if it could be an access of something naturally occurring. I'm not suggesting it doesn't have to be dealt with and it's not causing problems, but since starting out fresh is counter productive and costing you a fortune, maybe you don't have to disinfect each time, but rinse everything daily? I'm trying hard not to come across as minimizing the issue. I'm trying hard to help you keep it from getting out of hand going forward.

What do you think? Could it be non-toxic?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Even if I were still in practice and could send a sample in to find out what the bacteria was, I wouldn't take the chance of it recurring. This stuff was incredibly fast growing and just invaded everything. The medium didn't matter, it was growing on any surface it could get to. There are bacteria that produce mucus.
    When I put my fish into the temporary container, the container was clean, the filter had been cleaned when I bought the fluval and had been set aside and was completely clean and dry. Not thinking, when i went to do a small water change in the temporary container, I used the same syphon I had used before. That was all it took. Two minutes of contact with the old syphon and the next day the sides of the temporary container were slimy. Shortly there after it was all over the airstone tubing, the rocks and the filter.

The new tank is up and running with new hosing, new air stones and air stone tubing, sand and the new media in the fluval. The rocks were scrubbed and any that were not smooth, like lava rock were thrown out. I am just waiting.
    Everytime I do anything with the aquarium, I'm holding my breath, waiting to feel slime. The things I replaced were not that expensive and it was worth the money knowing that I hadn't put anything that might have hidden slime in there.

This seems impossible, but when I tested the water this afternoon, I had almost no ammonia and I did have 0.25ppm nitrite. That can't be. Is there something else that would cause nitrites?