· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mucoid bacteria

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    dying bacteria turns into ammonia and then nitrite

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Yayyy! Your tank is cycling! And a clean substrate is all it took hahaha.

You can add sodium chloride (aquarium or Sea/Kosher Salt) to help protect against nitrite poisoning. 1tsp dissolved per 10 gallons. If you don't want to add anything, I get it, just letting you know and it won't impact anything in a negative manner.

FYI Salt does not evaporate, it stays in the water until you change it out via WCs so if you add sea kosher salt, only add more for water removed. When it's time to remove completely, simply water change it out.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    i gave the tank another 24 hours and retested the water. No ammonia, nitrites and nitrates present. Considering everything was either replaced or washed out well, it seems weird. I'll take it though.

Sand is definately easier to clean. I feed them only as much as can be consumed in 3 minutes. It also makes the tank brighter, so I made sure there were plenty of caves that were dark. The sand is a mix of black and white and seems to reflect light I'll never use gravel again.

The one fish I thought would never make it was my congo black calvus. At feeding time, he comes out, darting around the larger fish for half a pellet. If there are only pellets that are too big, he grabs one, spits it out, regrabs it until he has managed to soften it or take bites out of it. The others ignore him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so happy things are finally working out for you!!!!

The cycle is happening, the sand is working out, fish are doing well :)

Way to go with all that hard work and persistence!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Sand does not hold near the amounts of crud that gravel will.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers