· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4383919293

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirstin_orion113 View Post
    Yes, that is sufficient for a 20long tank. I have one of similar GPH rating (different brand, though) and it has served me well for the last two years. Usually takes around 75-80mins to fill up an orange 5gal Home Depot bucket up to the 4gal mark. In my 20long reef with sand and rockwork a 4gal water change usually worked out to be around a 40% water change. Your mileage may vary depending on what % you want to change in your particular setup and what size buckets you have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Yes, that is sufficient for a 20long tank. I have one of similar GPH rating (different brand, though) and it has served me well for the last two years. Usually takes around 75-80mins to fill up an orange 5gal Home Depot bucket up to the 4gal mark. In my 20long reef with sand and rockwork a 4gal water change usually worked out to be around a 40% water change. Your mileage may vary depending on what % you want to change in your particular setup and what size buckets you have.
    Thank you, Andre!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I'm not sure. I don't have an RODI unit yet. @Slaphppy7 you have a unit, correct? What do you think?
    You can have a saltwater tank without an RO/DI filter system?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Awesome and wow 1 hour to fill a 5 gal bucket? That takes a lot longer than I expected! Do you age your water also or is that not necessary for sw? And it will be a 20 long with sand and live rock (already established from lfs) got a deal on it for $3.99 a lb. I havenít even started the tank yet however I am making sure I will have everything I need to get it started. And I will also be using a 5 gal bucket.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I posted a reply earlier, but don't know where it went. But, yes, you can have a SW tank without an RO/DI filter system. It's not recommended and may contribute to algae issues, but it can be done. I've been using our well water for almost 4 years. I am currently battling red bubble algae and green hair algae. Part of that is new tank issues, since I just set this current tank up a few months ago, part of it is probably from my well water and some of it might be caused by my lighting.

You can have a saltwater tank without an RO/DI filter system?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Awesome and wow 1 hour to fill a 5 gal bucket? That takes a lot longer than I expected! Do you age your water also or is that not necessary for sw?
    Closer to an hour and a half, and that's even faster than the gallon-per-day rating (only 50) listed on my RODI unit. If you spend more and get a 100+ GPD rated system it will make the water faster. It all depends on what your budget is.

I age my water but I'm not really consistent with it. Sometimes I just let it churn in the bucket with a pump and heater until it is up to temperature, other times I will let it churn for a day or two but that's more out of sheer laziness than anything else. I have never noticed a difference between letting the water age or not. I just make sure the salt is completely mixed and the temp matches the display tank and I'm good to go.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I usually mix up my saltwater a few hours before I'm going to use it. Sometimes, if I'm more organized than usual, I'll mix it up the day before. I always test the salinity in both the tank and the bucket(s) of new saltwater to make sure they match before doing a water change.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Bigger isn't better for everyone

2 Not allowed!
    Having just upgraded from the 40 breeder to the 65 gallon, I have already been giving serious thought to downsizing. I like all the open swimming space of the larger tank, but I hate being up to my armpit in water whenever I need to do something with the rocks or coral and, for whatever reason, I'm finding the size of the tank intimidating. I don't know if it's the height alone or something else. The 65 gallon is a lot more scratched up than I realized too. Mostly that doesn't bother me, except for when light hits it in a way that makes all the scratches more noticeable, but they are another strike against it.
    I love the look of 75 gallon tanks and always thought I'd aspire to have one of those, but now I'm not so sure. I would likely find that size overwhelming too, even though they are a more manageable height.
    I'll muddle along with this tank for a while, but I am thinking about other options. I don't think I want to go back to a 40 breeder. I'm researching cubes, all in one tanks, Red Sea Reefer set ups, etc. My mind keeps veering toward 29 gallons, but I'm not sure if I want to go that small. There's a 37 gallon tank for sale locally, same footprint as 29, but taller. I like the gallon size, but know I won't like the height. Maybe it's because I'm vertically challenged? Maybe my arms are too short. Maybe I'm just too picky. Maybe I'm too demanding. Maybe I'm never satisfied. Maybe we all need a little purple rain?
    I've got time to think and plan and change my mind a thousand times. I may grow to love the 65 gallon tank, scratches and all, but I don't see it as being my grow old with me tank.
    Anyway. That's today's ramble.

Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4383919293