· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 88 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Man that stinks about the skimmer. That's odd that it was so hot to the touch. I don't think I've ever had a pump run hot before. May want to give the manufacturer a call and see if it is normal for it to do that. If it is defective they may just send you a replacement pump even if the unit is out of warranty (I think you said you bought it used...?).

Edit:
    If you find yourself struggling to keep the phosphates down in the tank and don't want to add any more hardware, try throwing a pouch of GFO into one of your HOBs. It won't be as effective as it would be in a dedicated GFO reactor, but it will still help in sucking up the phosphates on a day-to-day basis in between your water changes.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 07-08-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Andre. Yes, I bought it used. I think the motor is probably just old and wore out. Like me. lol
    I am having a bit of a phosphate issue and a red bubble algae outbreak. I had some of this on hand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MNKP1U...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    I cut a 5" x 6" piece and it fit perfectly in one of the filter slots. I'm currently running the filter pad and a bag of Matrix in one filter and the phosphate reducing pad and ceramic media in the other one. If the pad doesn't help with the phosphates, I'll look into getting some GFO. Thank you for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Man that stinks about the skimmer. That's odd that it was so hot to the touch. I don't think I've ever had a pump run hot before. May want to give the manufacturer a call and see if it is normal for it to do that. If it is defective they may just send you a replacement pump even if the unit is out of warranty (I think you said you bought it used...?).

Edit:
    If you find yourself struggling to keep the phosphates down in the tank and don't want to add any more hardware, try throwing a pouch of GFO into one of your HOBs. It won't be as effective as it would be in a dedicated GFO reactor, but it will still help in sucking up the phosphates on a day-to-day basis in between your water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting stuff! Let me know how well it works for you as I'm always on the lookout for other stuff to try out.

My phosphates skyrocketed to 1ppm about a week and a half ago, and my cheato in my refugium exploded with growth. I think that one of my newer gobies, which I initially thought jumped ship and was eaten by one of our pups, got trapped/buried under some rockwork and died. That's really the only thing I could think of that could cause such a sharp rise in phosphates. I usually keep my levels so low that the test kit won't give any readings, so I was a bit blown away when I saw that 1ppm reading come out of nowhere haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    When you use aquarium placement / ease of viewing for determining where and which way to situate your clawfoot tub, your contractor may think you're nuts. If you're me, you don't care, because... priorities! A place for my QT has officially been worked into the new master bathroom plans. #score

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That's actually quite amazing haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We're working on a give and take system. There's a lot of sighing involved. lol

That's actually quite amazing haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    FTS with bubble action.
    The 65g tank setup was a month old this past Monday and the uglies are in full force: diatoms on the sand, red bubble algae on the rocks and a little green hair algae on the large powerhead. I'm dosing ChemiClean this week to see if it has any effect on the red bubble algae.
    I lost my bicolor blenny. One night I noticed he wasn't eating. The next night he still didn't eat, his front end was pale and he seemed to be panting. The next evening, he was dead. I'm wondering if he got zinged by a coral, but don't know which one would have had enough of a sting to take down a fat, healthy fish. I miss watching the little guy zipping around the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the loss, Rebecca
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Aw man.....I’m sorry :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Aw man.....I’m sorry :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Sorry for the loss, Rebecca
    Thank you, Matt and Andre. I don't know if I'll get another bicolor blenny since that's the second one I've lost. On the bright side, I'm starting to see some green coralline algae on the glass and more pink coralline on the rocks. It's good to see those sure signs that the tank is maturing and moving in the right direction, even with the uglies and the loss.

Page 88 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast