· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 84 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm working on dialing it in now. For the longest time it was bubbling so much it was just filling and overflowing. I had the overflow tube running back into the tank while it was getting broken in. I cleaned the cup out on Friday before we went away for the weekend. When we came back the cup looked like the pic I posted. It wasn't overflowing anymore and all the microbubbles were gone. At first I panicked, thinking it had broken. lol I cleaned out the cup Tuesday evening and it has collected a small amount of pretty dark skimmate since then. Because it's a HOB I will be keeping the overflow tubing running back into the tank, so my goal will be the dryer skimmate. I don't want to miss a day of cleaning and then have all the yuck going back into the tank. I check it every morning before I leave for work - still bubbling, not full, not leaking - good, I can go to work now. lol
    I hate that you're having to deal with a jerk in your group. It sounds like the other members aren't too thrilled with him either if they're not supporting his channel. There is one guy in our group that got on my nerves on FB when he felt the need to keep mansplaining stuff to me. I'm hoping he won't be at the meeting. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Your skimmate is pretty wet. You have a lot of room to adjust it down for a drier skimmate that would require less frequent cleaning, if you desire. I've seen lots of folks argue back and forth whether dry is better than wet and vice versa but at the end of the day it really just depends on how often you want to be dumping out the collection cup.

If it weren't for this Hilter guy who recently took over our local club, I would attend more of our meets. I just don't like the way he is running things. He is an elitist who wants everyone to fall in, rank and file. He even has threatened to kick people from the club that he feels aren't participating enough and was ticked off the other day and created a big drama on FB because we have hundreds of members but he is only getting like 8 views on his Youtube vids. He also tries preventing members from disagreeing with him on anything. It's his way or the highway.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Keep me updated on the HOB skimmer. I missed that part about it being an external unit. I was torn between an HOB skimmer and an HOB refugium. I ended up going with the refugium mainly because of price and it "hides" better. So far so good and the chaeto is exploding in growth, but I'm still interested in how your skimmer unit works now that it is broken in.

Do you mind posting a link/info for the unit you are using? Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently using an Eshopps that I bought used: https://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-Hang-...s%2C165&sr=8-4
    I like it, but it does have a small leak where the venture pump connects. I had to use silicone to seal the leak. It's not the best solution, but good enough for now. We ordered replacement parts, they sent two and they both leaked. So... silicone to the rescue.

I have this AquaMaxx on my Amazon wishlist: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NJXBGJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Keep me updated on the HOB skimmer. I missed that part about it being an external unit. I was torn between an HOB skimmer and an HOB refugium. I ended up going with the refugium mainly because of price and it "hides" better. So far so good and the chaeto is exploding in growth, but I'm still interested in how your skimmer unit works now that it is broken in.

Do you mind posting a link/info for the unit you are using? Thanks!
    Last edited by showmebutterfly; 06-13-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Yikes! Yeah, my HOB refugium was waaaaaaaaay cheaper haha That AquaMaxx looks sexy but for that priced I'd set up a dedicated sump haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yikes! Yeah, my HOB refugium was waaaaaaaaay cheaper haha That AquaMaxx looks sexy but for that priced I'd set up a dedicated sump haha
    If I ever make the leap to a sump it will probably be a 10 gallon sump for my 20 high tank. Those are the 2 tanks I already have, plus I have a metal stand that would work for that setup. I'm in no rush to try my hand at drilling a tank or putting together plumbing though, so that project will stay on the shelf for a good while.
    I'm happy with my 65 setup. It's simple and is working well. I bought an Aqueon Quietflow 75 HOB filter to replace the AquaClear 70 filter. The Aqueon is self-priming and I feel that's a good feature to have with the upcoming electrical work we're having done. The only upgrades I'm planning are T5 lighting, the AquaMaxx skimmer and either an Icecap 3K gyre or the Maxspect 330 gyre. Lighting first, then gyre, then skimmer. More fish and corals too, but those are a given. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I really want to get a proper gyre pump but man I've been having a hard time swallowing the price tag.

I do not waste money on AquaClears anymore. I've purchased multiple units because it was the popular choice here among some of the more vocal members for a long time but every unit I had gave me problems. Stackable/custom media is a huge plus but doesn't mean diddly squat when the impellers seize up. We don't get very many sustained power outages in my neck of the woods, but we do have frequent rapid on/offs that occur from time to time. I got tired of coming home to my AquaClears seized up and having to reach in with tweezers to nudge the impellers back into action.

So far I am liking my current HOB refugium. It's essentially just a large clear box that holds a little less than a gallon of water that hangs on the back of your tank, with a 10" Finnex FugeRay light sitting on top. An external pump is placed in the tank and pushes the water up into the box, where it eventually overflows back into the tank. It has removable baffle inserts for those who like to divide it up into sections like a sump, but for me I just took out all the baffles and have a huge mass of chaeto growing in there. I almost went with a substrate like crushed coral or even that Magic Mud stuff, but in the end opted for bare bottom for easier vacuuming.

I obviously haven't been on the forum much for the last 9 months or so, but I'm surprised you and the hubs never jumped on the sump train. I remember Matt and I were making some vids and pressuring you pretty good for a while haha Sumps don't absolutely require drilling, just FYI. Eshopps and some others have really good HOB overflows. The HOBs are nice because 1) you don't have to worry about busting your tank and 2) you can throw one on at any time (can't really drill a tank when it is already set up and filled with water and livestock haha).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @BluewaterBoof As much as I appreciated you guys taking the time to make the sump videos, I'm just not ready to pull that trigger. Maybe one of these days. Maybe not. lol We'll see.
    Meanwhile... I'm hoping to collect several colorations of candy cane corals, so when I saw this one at Petco, it ended up coming home with me. That lead to me quickly throwing together the 10g QT. So that's up and running now. Horrible pic, but hopefully I can get a better one soon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    My new coral is looking puffy and happier today. I did a water change on the DT this morning and grabbed some rocks out of it to help cycle the QT and to give any fish I may add some hiding places.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just a quick FTS. My skimmer is putting out micro bubbles again and running crazy. I dosed Stress Guard a few days ago when I noticed a bruised looking spot on the tail of my neon goby. The goby is fine now and the skimmer will calm back down eventually.
    I sold my old 40 breeder and was a little sad to see it go, but used the money to order an Odyssea dual T5 light. I'll try the bulbs it comes with for a while, but will ultimately be ordering ATI bulbs.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The new light fixture arrived today. Wowzers. I accidentally shined it right in my eyeballs. Dual T5 high output bulbs pack quite a punch. I'm hoping the corals will appreciate having brighter lights.

Page 84 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast