· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice! Sounds like a really well-rounded meal similar to what I use. I really like the Benepets reef food because it is so clean. All my phosphates plummeted once I switch from Reef Roids to that stuff. Are you blending/grinding up the krill, or are you chopping it into chunks? I used to chop mine up so I could feed decent chunks to my nems but I never cared for all the eyeballs on my cutting board hahaha

Mine are doing ok. I haven't really been doing much with them. My big freshwater is going to get a massive rescape to freshen it up and turn it into something less plant-y and more suitable for my oscar, but I haven't even started looking into hardscape pieces. We have several other projects going on right now and through the summer so I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to messing with the tank. The reef tank is still puttering along. I had sold off everything except for my clown, blenny, porcelains, and an emerald, and I have a couple euphyllia and zoas left. What's cool is that there was a tiny little bit of leptastrea left on one of my rocks that grew like crazy. It was a sliver of flesh about the size of a grain of rice after I pulled off the main frag months ago. It is now encrusted over a relatively large area, several inches in diameter.

What's very interesting to note is that there is not really much of any type of filtration in the tank. There is a small sponge filter on one end to help keep the water clear of particulates, but other than that, there are just two small wavemakers to agitate and circulate. No sump, no overflow, no skimmer or chaeto, no ATO, no dosing. It gets daily top-offs and water changes about once every two weeks. It has been running this way for months with no issues. I have to make the disclaimer that there aren't really any sensitive SPS or anything left in the tank aside from a very small patch (maybe the size of a dime) of montipora that was left on a rock. It has not been thriving but also not dying. I'm sure it would bounce back if I started adding all that equipment back to the tank, but that won't happen any time soon, at least until after we move sometime this year.

But enough about my stuff, this is your journal! I'm glad you got into the reef stuff. Such amazing and diverse life. Really cool stuff. Doesn't really feel like it was that long ago that you were starting this project off as a FOWLR :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    You can talk about your stuff on my journal anytime. lol It's neat to hear that your tank is doing so well without all the bells and whistles. I've read many times that you can have a thriving saltwater tank just using live rock as filtration. It looks like you're proving that right.

I would like to be the sort of reef keeper that makes their own frozen reef food, but I know that's not likely to happen. I can't even get the gumption to meal prep for myself. lol I have 4 kinds of frozen cubes that I thaw and mix with the Vita-chem and Bene-reef. One of them has the krill in it, already all chopped up, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Nice! Sounds like a really well-rounded meal similar to what I use. I really like the Benepets reef food because it is so clean. All my phosphates plummeted once I switch from Reef Roids to that stuff. Are you blending/grinding up the krill, or are you chopping it into chunks? I used to chop mine up so I could feed decent chunks to my nems but I never cared for all the eyeballs on my cutting board hahaha

Mine are doing ok. I haven't really been doing much with them. My big freshwater is going to get a massive rescape to freshen it up and turn it into something less plant-y and more suitable for my oscar, but I haven't even started looking into hardscape pieces. We have several other projects going on right now and through the summer so I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to messing with the tank. The reef tank is still puttering along. I had sold off everything except for my clown, blenny, porcelains, and an emerald, and I have a couple euphyllia and zoas left. What's cool is that there was a tiny little bit of leptastrea left on one of my rocks that grew like crazy. It was a sliver of flesh about the size of a grain of rice after I pulled off the main frag months ago. It is now encrusted over a relatively large area, several inches in diameter.

What's very interesting to note is that there is not really much of any type of filtration in the tank. There is a small sponge filter on one end to help keep the water clear of particulates, but other than that, there are just two small wavemakers to agitate and circulate. No sump, no overflow, no skimmer or chaeto, no ATO, no dosing. It gets daily top-offs and water changes about once every two weeks. It has been running this way for months with no issues. I have to make the disclaimer that there aren't really any sensitive SPS or anything left in the tank aside from a very small patch (maybe the size of a dime) of montipora that was left on a rock. It has not been thriving but also not dying. I'm sure it would bounce back if I started adding all that equipment back to the tank, but that won't happen any time soon, at least until after we move sometime this year.

But enough about my stuff, this is your journal! I'm glad you got into the reef stuff. Such amazing and diverse life. Really cool stuff. Doesn't really feel like it was that long ago that you were starting this project off as a FOWLR :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    We have one of those Magic Bullet blenders. I toss my frozen mysis, krill, benepets powder, and Selcon liquid vitamins all into it with saltwater and blend it all up until it is a nice creamy consistency. Then I pour it into one of these and then freeze overnight:

71LTy-So+AL._SL1500_.jpg

Next day I pop them out and keep them frozen in a Ziplock freezer bag. When it's feeding time I just take one out, put it into a shot glass with some tank water and let it all melt and then use a feeder to squirt the yums into the tank :) Well, I cut the cubes down even further now that most of the corals and all the nems are gone from the tank. A bag/batch will last me quite a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We have one of those Magic Bullet blenders. I toss my frozen mysis, krill, benepets powder, and Selcon liquid vitamins all into it with saltwater and blend it all up until it is a nice creamy consistency. Then I pour it into one of these and then freeze overnight:

71LTy-So+AL._SL1500_.jpg

Next day I pop them out and keep them frozen in a Ziplock freezer bag. When it's feeding time I just take one out, put it into a shot glass with some tank water and let it all melt and then use a feeder to squirt the yums into the tank :) Well, I cut the cubes down even further now that most of the corals and all the nems are gone from the tank. A bag/batch will last me quite a while.
    Dang it.....now I want to get some more nems again... I may get a mini maxi carpet nem or possibly a handful of flowers again. Hmmmmm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Dang it.....now I want to get some more nems again... I may get a mini maxi carpet nem or possibly a handful of flowers again. Hmmmmm.
    You get some a nem. I'll get the fancy ice tray. I've got a bullet blender. Thanks for the mix and freeze tip!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I worked on my aquascape for more than a few hours between yesterday and today. It is as done as it's going to get. This is one part of the hobby that I do not particularly enjoy and the water may be extra salty from my sweat and tears. I'm hoping I won't need to stick my hands in the tank again for a good long while. I'm pretty sure the fish and corals are on board with that too.
    I used JB Water Weld for the first time and did a crappy underwater epoxy job, but the rock placement is blenny approved and that makes me happy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Your rock arrangement looks good to me!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Your rock arrangement looks good to me!
    Thank you. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm real happy that it's done. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default I covered up my bare bottom

1 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks great!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast