· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 77 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

Default AquaClear Filter Clearance

1 Not allowed!
    I just found this info online: The Aquaclear 20-70 all have a 1" lip, while the AQ110 has a 1 1/2" lip.
    If that's accurate, then I shouldn't have a problem with the 110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I just found this info online: The Aquaclear 20-70 all have a 1" lip, while the AQ110 has a 1 1/2" lip.
    If that's accurate, then I shouldn't have a problem with the 110.
    Fits better and a bigger refugium, very nice. That is what you were doing with it right? Or did I get that wrong?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I hadn't thought about making it into a refugium, but that's not out of the realm of possiblity. I was planning on using it for media and activated carbon - since I have 3 trays of media (including Matrix) in the leaky Marineland cannister. I'll have to see what will fit on the back of the tank besides the AC110 and the ginormous Eshopps protein skimmer. lol I may be able to put either the AC70 or AC50 beside the skimmer, with some modifications to either the filter or the tank's rim. The bar across the middle is going to be a pain to work around, but I know it's there to keep the glass from blowing out under the water pressure, so I won't be trying to modify it at all.
    I need to see if having a filter next to a skimmer would create any kind of problems or extra bubbles or anything weird. I thought I had read something about not putting a powerhead next to the skimmer, or aimed at it, or something. My brain may still be fried by the silicone fumes. Although, to be honest, I'm always kind of

Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Fits better and a bigger refugium, very nice. That is what you were doing with it right? Or did I get that wrong?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I hadn't thought about making it into a refugium, but that's not out of the realm of possiblity. I was planning on using it for media and activated carbon - since I have 3 trays of media (including Matrix) in the leaky Marineland cannister. I'll have to see what will fit on the back of the tank besides the AC110 and the ginormous Eshopps protein skimmer. lol I may be able to put either the AC70 or AC50 beside the skimmer, with some modifications to either the filter or the tank's rim. The bar across the middle is going to be a pain to work around, but I know it's there to keep the glass from blowing out under the water pressure, so I won't be trying to modify it at all.
    I need to see if having a filter next to a skimmer would create any kind of problems or extra bubbles or anything weird. I thought I had read something about not putting a powerhead next to the skimmer, or aimed at it, or something. My brain may still be fried by the silicone fumes. Although, to be honest, I'm always kind of
    check this video out, he used a AC70 and mad a fuge out of it using the parts that came with the filter for a chaeto guard and everything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @mch1984 Do you think it would be best to try to have the protein skimmer + AC110 refugium + HOB filter for media, activated carbon, phosguard, whatever?
    I definitely feel like I need some kind of filter. I wanted to use the canister because it wouldn't eat up much of the available space for equipment on the back, but now I'm feeling like I need to scrap that idea. I have lots of cycled media in the canister and I'd like to always keep some on hand and ready to go in case I need to throw together a QT. I'll probably be putting the AC70 and AC50 on the back of the 40B to keep the media cycled. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the 65 build.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I actually did that with my AC70, sort of. I never got the lighting quite right and ended up having my chaeto turn to slime. Inappropriate Reefer is my kind of people - a little bit crazy. lol

check this video out, he used a AC70 and mad a fuge out of it using the parts that came with the filter for a chaeto guard and everything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @mch1984 Do you think it would be best to try to have the protein skimmer + AC110 refugium + HOB filter for media, activated carbon, phosguard, whatever?
    I definitely feel like I need some kind of filter. I wanted to use the canister because it wouldn't eat up much of the available space for equipment on the back, but now I'm feeling like I need to scrap that idea. I have lots of cycled media in the canister and I'd like to always keep some on hand and ready to go in case I need to throw together a QT. I'll probably be putting the AC70 and AC50 on the back of the 40B to keep the media cycled. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the 65 build.
    I think a fuge is a great nutrient export and I have had great luck with mine. You will have to buy a light but those can be pretty cheap on a small fuge and bought from amazon. I think you have a few options, and all have their pluses. If you are scrapping the canister filter all together, this is the route I would go.

Use the ac110 for media has planned and some kind of floss to help polish the water. Then add a reactor for the chaeto. You can place it under the stand, or do a hang on reactor and have it pump to the tank. Under the tank will help hide the bright red light shinning into the house. There are some good videos out there on how to do a chaeto reactor, and they are suppose to be just as effective. Plus the light for those are cheap off amazon, it can be one of the strip lights.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the info - I'll look into the chaeto reactors! I've been looking at the carbon and phosphate reactors, but can't talk myself into pulling the trigger on either or both of those yet. I've been trying to keep things pretty simple and not overload myself with info. Baby steps.

I think a fuge is a great nutrient export and I have had great luck with mine. You will have to buy a light but those can be pretty cheap on a small fuge and bought from amazon. I think you have a few options, and all have their pluses. If you are scrapping the canister filter all together, this is the route I would go.

Use the ac110 for media has planned and some kind of floss to help polish the water. Then add a reactor for the chaeto. You can place it under the stand, or do a hang on reactor and have it pump to the tank. Under the tank will help hide the bright red light shinning into the house. There are some good videos out there on how to do a chaeto reactor, and they are suppose to be just as effective. Plus the light for those are cheap off amazon, it can be one of the strip lights.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I was trying to find a picture of it but can't seem to. Most of them have the light strip wrapped directly around the reactor, some have had issues with heat. The best one I saw was a guy that got a large piece of PVC and wrapped the lights on the inside of that. then just slid the reactor down into the PVC. I think it would help with heat issues with the lights not being directly on the actual reactor.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I watched a few DIY YouTube videos yesterday. The reactors looked pretty cool. One guy did say that thee maintenance was kind of a PITA. I think he was going to go back to having a refugium. I can't remember which channel that was though. YouTube is a great source for information. I've used it a lot for comparing protein skimmers and other items.

I was trying to find a picture of it but can't seem to. Most of them have the light strip wrapped directly around the reactor, some have had issues with heat. The best one I saw was a guy that got a large piece of PVC and wrapped the lights on the inside of that. then just slid the reactor down into the PVC. I think it would help with heat issues with the lights not being directly on the actual reactor.

Page 77 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast