· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Progress is progress, no matter how small. I'd previously painted the back of the tank and repainted the trim. Tonight I cut down a HDPE panel to fit the bottom. It's not perfect, but it's done. The next step will be to silicone it down within an inch of its life. I'm going to try going sandless (bare bottom) with this build, but want to protect the glass with the HDPE.
    Please ignore any and all clutter - our dining room is more of a storage room these days. :-(
    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6176fbea16.jpg
    If you are going bare bottom, I've some people go a little further with the bottom panel. They are actually put a bead of silicon around the edge of the bottom piece as well to keep stuff from getting underneath it. Tank is looking good.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    If you are going bare bottom, I've some people go a little further with the bottom panel. They are actually put a bead of silicon around the edge of the bottom piece as well to keep stuff from getting underneath it. Tank is looking good.
    It's coming together a little at a time. I'm thinking I'll put a thin layer of silicone on the bottom of the panel and let it cure for a week, then go around the edges with more silicone and let that cure for another week. I figure it doesn't hurt to allow extra curing time and it doesn't look like the skimmer part I ordered will be here until mid-April. After that it will be a matter of finding time to swap everything over. I'm both looking forward to and not looking forward to that process.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    It's coming together a little at a time. I'm thinking I'll put a thin layer of silicone on the bottom of the panel and let it cure for a week, then go around the edges with more silicone and let that cure for another week. I figure it doesn't hurt to allow extra curing time and it doesn't look like the skimmer part I ordered will be here until mid-April. After that it will be a matter of finding time to swap everything over. I'm both looking forward to and not looking forward to that process.
    Oh for sure, especially when you're in no hurry extra cure time is always better. I understand switching things over and what it can be like. We just upgraded my dads tank to a 40 and we spent an entire weekend doing it. To be fair we did all the plumbing and everything in one shot, so it took a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I really like your dad's new tank. I hope you'll keep posting updates on that thread. It looks like it's due for some more pics. *hint hint*

Oh for sure, especially when you're in no hurry extra cure time is always better. I understand switching things over and what it can be like. We just upgraded my dads tank to a 40 and we spent an entire weekend doing it. To be fair we did all the plumbing and everything in one shot, so it took a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Almost a FTS. The new gasket is on the canister and so far, so good. I will be out of town this weekend and my husband has been given a quick lesson on what to keep an eye on and instructed not to feed my tank. He is all about giving the dog, cats, chickens and cows treats. I have really had to stress repeatedly that overfeeding fish is very much bad. Even if the little #!@% are begging for food.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Iíll post some pics soon, we leave for Dallas and aquashella tomorrow morning.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Iíll post some pics soon, we leave for Dallas and aquashella tomorrow morning.
    Have fun, safe travels and take lots of pics.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well. The new gasket leaks worse than the old one. Great.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thin layer of silicone used to adhere HDPE board to bottom of tank - my husband laid out lines of silicone with the caulk gun and I schmerred it out with the help of a latex glove. After getting the panel situated in the tank (let me tell you that having your head in a tank full of silicone fumes is not pleasant), I topped it with eggcrate to try to disperse the weight of everything we set on top. This is the first time I've used those hand weights in years. lol
    I have a tendency to overdo things, but hope this will help have even, secure adherence of the panel to the tank.
    After this cures for a week or so, we'll go around the edge with silicone for good measure.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well. The new gasket leaks worse than the old one. Great.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f5db47f1e6.jpg
    What filter is that?
    I found that if you baskets are too full of media then a boyu and via aqua canister will leak. These are the very big cannisters.
    Keep filter media below the rim of the baskets.

Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast