· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 72 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Oh, must have missed this one yesterday, or on the 12th . Congrats on the new corals. Looking forward to seeing them in your tank after the QT period.
    Thank you, Nat.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Thank you. I am really hoping I don't kill it! It's so pretty when it's open, or at least it was at the shop. It hasn't stayed open much for me yet.
    I was going to keep the new corals in the QT until I was ready to transfer everything to the 65g, but we may be putting the transfer off for a while - after the Reef Expo, instead of before. Which means the new coral might be going in the DT sooner rather than later. I'm waffling on which protein skimmer I want, which isn't helping matters. Ugh.
    What options are you looking at?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    What options are you looking at?
    I was looking at the Reef Octopus HOB, Eshopps HOB and Tunze in tank skimmer. I ended up with the Eshopps for pretty much free. See my next post.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I sold my Eshopps nano skimmer on Friday for $60. I bought this skimmer today for $60. It was advertised as the Eshopps PSK-75H. I'm pretty sure it's actually the PSK-100H, which makes it an even better deal. It's missing the intake strainer and the sponge output cover, but otherwise seems to be in good condition. I'll be trying it out on the QT to make sure there are no leaks or problems before putting it on the 40B. It's ginormous!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Thatís awesome! I was going to say either eshopps or octo. I have an eshopps and itís donít a great job for me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Thatís awesome! I was going to say either eshopps or octo. I have an eshopps and itís donít a great job for me.
    I'm pretty excited about getting a good deal. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The skimmer had a small, slow leak around the venturi connector. We figured it was because one of the plastic clips was cracked (first pic) and / or because the o-ring needed replacing. We were able to order a replacement part (second pic) and it arrived today. As I was trying to get the new part on the skimmer, my hand slipped and I managed to break off 4 needles on the needle wheel (third pic). We got it all put together, but there's still a small leak around the venturi connector.
    Last pic = the intake tube off an AquaClear 70 makes a good replacement for the one that was missing on the skimmer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    IDK where the leak is coming from, but sometimes some Teflon tape on the threads can help. Even in a situation like yours where it isn't a tapered thread. Could be worth a try.

You may be able to epoxy the needles back on depending on how much pressure will be put on them.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The blue circled area is the part that was cracked on the old connector. The yellow area points to the seam where the leak is occurring - both with the old connector and the new replacement part. My husband thinks maybe the o-ring didn't seat properly or something like that. Some evening when I'm less stressed we'll sit down and mess with it some more. If nothing else we could put some silicone to seal the area, although that would make it quite difficult to take it apart for cleaning if that's ever needed.

leak.jpg

I thought about trying to epoxy the needles, but if they didn't stick I don't know if they could get into the pump motor and mess it up. I don't think I want to chance that. I've been doing a little research and it should still work ok, maybe not as efficient, but it's oversized for my tank. No big deal. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    IDK where the leak is coming from, but sometimes some Teflon tape on the threads can help. Even in a situation like yours where it isn't a tapered thread. Could be worth a try.

You may be able to epoxy the needles back on depending on how much pressure will be put on them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the skimmer trouble, mine just dumped about 10 gallons of water in my floor so I understand.

Page 72 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast