· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 59 of 93 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I saw this on Craigslist and my first (admittedly snarky) thought was WTH? They're advertising it as a 75g reef ready tank. It looks like a 75g tank with an overflow in the tank and another tank (sump?) attached to the back - like a super-sized AIO. Is that basically what this is? I don't understand the appeal of this, unless you were able to build the back part of the tank into a wall and access it from the back. It may be the best thing ever invented, but it seems bulky, awkward, impractical and ugly to me.... I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so it could just be my morning grump talking.

Attachment 56543
    that does look odd, not sure whats going on here. Especially because that style overflow indicates a bottom drilled tank. Doesn't make sense for to flow through the bottom then into the back chamber. That would be interesting to see and figure out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Very weird and does't seem practical, but I am not a saltie...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I spent part of today playing with boxes and packing tape, making mock tanks in different sizes. IF we add a sump, it looks like it will be a 10g and we'll need to drop the bottom of the stand level with the floor, so that there will be room to get the sump out, if needed, without having to tear down the DT. We could fit a bigger sump if we temporarily removed the middle brace, but neither of us is comfortable with that idea.

Right now I'm leaning toward using a canister filter and a Tunze protein skimmer that has a built in surface skimmer. That could change and, knowing me, it probably will. I'm not overly concerned about not having a refugium since I plan to have some macro algae in the DT.

That's today's ramblings. I've been reading Mike Paletta's aquarium book and some of Paul Baldassano's reef keeping articles. They've got me considering going old school on the new build.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Any way you could make a side panel removable? Then you could slide the sump in from the side. For my sump, I have to remove the middle brace. But another option is to take off a side panel, and the decide a way to make it easily removed in the future.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Maybe the guy didn't have room in the sump for a refugium area and wanted a large space in the back to accommodate the lack of space in the sump. I have to give props to mch and boof for being so patient with helping you understand how sump works. Even putting instructional videos!

I've always liked using sumps for saltwater tanks, it is more versatile and add water volume. mch made a good point about the side panel, a lot of folks have stand with removable side panel to pull the sump in and out instead of trying to jam it in from the front.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    With where the stand has to go, I'll pretty much only have access from the front of the stand. We've got the wall-to-wall furniture situation going on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Any way you could make a side panel removable? Then you could slide the sump in from the side. For my sump, I have to remove the middle brace. But another option is to take off a side panel, and the decide a way to make it easily removed in the future.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Those two have definitely gone above and beyond to try to help me figure out the sump situation. I was able to get my husband to watch the videos too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Maybe the guy didn't have room in the sump for a refugium area and wanted a large space in the back to accommodate the lack of space in the sump. I have to give props to mch and boof for being so patient with helping you understand how sump works. Even putting instructional videos!

I've always liked using sumps for saltwater tanks, it is more versatile and add water volume. mch made a good point about the side panel, a lot of folks have stand with removable side panel to pull the sump in and out instead of trying to jam it in from the front.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just a few pics showing the construction of my "new" stand. It's pine and looks like the ones made by Aqueon. It seems a bit on the flimsy side to me. I'm thinking it was probably engineered to maximize weight bearing load with the minimal amount of materials. We plan on beefing it up a bit with additional bracing. As it sits, I'm not confident of it's ability to hold a 65g reef tank for the long haul.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Since you may have to beef that one up anyways. Why not build a new one? They are easy and you could build it without a center brace for sump purposes. Just a thought. Your right, those aqueon stands kind of stink.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well.... the why not has a lot to do with me being old, tired and lazy. Also, my husband bought the tank, stand and canopy for me. We knew when we bought it that we'd want to make a few changes to the stand. I appreciate him going out of his way to get this setup for me, even when he wasn't too sure about me getting a bigger tank. I don't think it would be wise of me to not use his gift. As long as it will hold the tank strong and steady, I can figure out everything else.

I like how the set looks, especially that it compliments the stand on his jungle tank. Both tanks will be in the same room, on the same wall. With the new build, our stands will be roughly the same height, both are pine, with almost matching stains. Our tanks are roughly the same height and depth, mine will just be wider. I realize that's putting form over function, but I'm looking forward to having a more balanced look.
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Since you may have to beef that one up anyways. Why not build a new one? They are easy and you could build it without a center brace for sump purposes. Just a thought. Your right, those aqueon stands kind of stink.

Page 59 of 93 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast