· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I personally wouldn't worry. A 5% decrease in light is pretty much imperceptible. At 200 PAR you're still looking at 190 PAR making it through the lid, assuming that the BRS test is accurate and applicable to most lids. I also take the BRS vids with a grain of salt. First and foremost, they are a retail business. They do not sell lids for aquariums but they do sell those insanely overpriced DIY screens, and I suspect that the purpose of their test/vid is to persuade customers into buying their product.

I personally use a glass lid on the DT and I also have a lid+cling wrap on my sump. We have lots of dogs in our house, and I wanted to keep all the dog fur out as well as reducing the evaporation. I do leave some gaps on the DT for fresh air to get in, and I run a large air stone and air pump in the sump for circulation but it also ensures that fresh air is being pumped into the sump even though there is cling wrap mostly sealing it in.

It's also worth recalling that chaeto and all other forms of algae are photosynthetic and produce oxygen. Having them in your sump/refugium offers increased oxygen levels in addition to their CO2 and NO3/PO4 consumption benefits (another point for hubby in convincing him to move forward with the sump idea).

Like plants, the algae will reverse the process and consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide at night, but this can be avoided by running your refugium light 24/7 which will help stabilize oxygen, CO2, and pH levels in the tank regardless of the time of day.

If you have the budget for it, though, by all means invest in a nice screen top and ATO system as Matt has done. My advice is more for those that are like me and have to make do with limited resources haha
    Also full proof you can have a nice display tank with a covered top, as boofs tank is very nice. I think you can go either route, I just prefer the screen and open top. I am starting to plan out my big system and sure enough i'm not even contemplating tops for anything, just a person preference I guess. I will say the one big draw back to an open tank, is having to be careful what is sprayed in the room. My bedroom is a no arousal allowed area in the house, I've actually considered putting up signs lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    @BluewaterBoof @mch1984 Thank you, Andre and Matt, for your conflicting input. That's always fun! Nah. It's all good. lol
    I appreciate you guys and that you share your experiences with what works for you and what doesn't. The one thing the eggcrate has in favor for me, besides being easy to work with and inexpensive, is that it will be covered by the canopy. I can have super ugly lids and nobody will know it but me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    In other news... a guy on my local SW Facebook group is selling all his corals at great prices and I am over here trying to convince myself that I don't NEED any of them. But I do. I really, really do.
    I did message him and said that if he still has any softies left at the end of the month, to let me know. I'm sure he'll have found new homes for all of them by then, but if not....
    Somebody seriously needs to save me from myself. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Oh I'm not really arguing with Matt. Everyone has their own setups and preferences, I was just sharing my experiences and opinions as I come from a more conservative position. If I had the budget, I'd definitely be rocking a lot of the stuff he has haha

I know how had that is, seeing the deals on Facebook groups. It's hard saying no to yourself, but just keep in mind that those deals pop up all the time, so even if he is out by the end of the month chances are you'll find someone else who is selling locally.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Y'all are very nice and considerate, which is why I like this forum so much. I've seen some ridiculous stuff on other forums. I think everyone here is willing to share their experience for what it's worth and is open to other ways of doing things. I haven't seen cases of 'my way is the only right way to do things' syndrome here. If I had the financial ability I'd be all over having someone come in and set up a custom tank for me. I would not mind one bit someone else doing the heavy lifting, plumbing, aqua-scaping and initial fill. After that I'd take over. Next year, once my car is paid off, I'll have more discretionary funds and will have to set myself an aquarium allowance so that I keep my spending within reason.
    I had mentioned the FB coral sale to the hubs last night. I called him earlier today to let him know that I'd messaged the guy to let me know if he had any left at the end of the month. When I told the hubs that I might need another tank for quarantining corals he responded with 'But you have that big tank out in the garage'! So... I guess that means I can go ahead and set up the 65?
    I'm going to get myself in so much trouble.

Oh I'm not really arguing with Matt. Everyone has their own setups and preferences, I was just sharing my experiences and opinions as I come from a more conservative position. If I had the budget, I'd definitely be rocking a lot of the stuff he has haha

I know how had that is, seeing the deals on Facebook groups. It's hard saying no to yourself, but just keep in mind that those deals pop up all the time, so even if he is out by the end of the month chances are you'll find someone else who is selling locally.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh I've seen plenty of "my way is the best" types of posts here on the forum haha I'm sure some members have seen my little spats with those individuals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'll have to keep an eye out for those now!

Oh I've seen plenty of "my way is the best" types of posts here on the forum haha I'm sure some members have seen my little spats with those individuals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Haha, yeah boof can get heated. I agree, I like peopleís attitudes on this forum. Iím still learning and donít have enough experience to disagree on most things. Even when I do flat out disagree it can be done in respectable manner. With that being said, I see nothing I disagree with on boofs setup, just things done differently. As the awful saying goes, more than one way to skin a cat.

See the setup, the build is one of my favorite parts. We are planning on a big build for me to keep my attention long term. I have the same problem, constantly wanting to set up new tanks. So my proposed and the wife agreed to solution is a massive system. Something that will keep me busy for a long time. There will always be stuff to fiddle with on it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I don't like the build part because of all the decisions that have to be made, plus weighing the pros / cons/ expense of everything and trying to get the most bang for my buck. I am really bad about 2nd guessing my decisions. I almost always regret it when I make a quick decision about anything. And yet, I have no patience. I am so glad you've got your wife on board for your big build! It's always good to have family support and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Haha, yeah boof can get heated. I agree, I like people’s attitudes on this forum. I’m still learning and don’t have enough experience to disagree on most things. Even when I do flat out disagree it can be done in respectable manner. With that being said, I see nothing I disagree with on boofs setup, just things done differently. As the awful saying goes, more than one way to skin a cat.

See the setup, the build is one of my favorite parts. We are planning on a big build for me to keep my attention long term. I have the same problem, constantly wanting to set up new tanks. So my proposed and the wife agreed to solution is a massive system. Something that will keep me busy for a long time. There will always be stuff to fiddle with on it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Haha my spats really just kind of swirl around two specific members and are almost always about the same topic, which is that there is always more than one way to do things, just like Matt said. I get a little frustrated when certain people stubbornly insist on their way of doing things, especially when they are trying to brainwash every newcomer to the hobby. I simply like to interject and add alternative info so that people are aware of other options that are just as viable, just as I just did with Matt. He knows I'm not knocking his way, and I know he's not knocking mine, just that we are both supplying information and advising other on alternative ways of doing things. Certain members, though, seem to take those kinds of posts personally. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen

Nothing like Facebook, though. That place is a nuthouse (not our group, which is really well-behaved). I want to cringe whenever I see the arguments between people on there. Just yesterday I came across an argument on a planted tank group in which three people had been arguing for HOURS and had resorted to calling each other idiots just because two of them preferred using LEDs for their lights and the other guy preferred using metal halides...

CommentPhotos.com_1406570708.jpg

Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast