· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Here's the vid!
    Let me know if you can't view it; I have permissions set to unlisted which limits who can and can't watch it.
    I was able to watch it just fine. You did a great job of explaining everything! Thank you for taking the time to make the video. I do really appreciate it. I'll have the hubs watch it with me tonight. My favorite part was you saying that the powers that be have determined that everything must die. That cracked me up because I can totally relate to that feeling. You can have as many backup plans as you want, but sometimes fate still has other ideas. lol

Oh.. I think the random macro algae in your chaeto is called fern caulerpa.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    That was actually my second attempt haha My first go at it was about half as long and full of a bunch of "ums." I had to slow waaaay down hahaha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    That was actually my second attempt haha My first go at it was about half as long and full of a bunch of "ums." I had to slow waaaay down hahaha
    Haha, I understand that completely. For me itís hearing myself and realizing just how bad my southern drawl really is.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I grew up in the Missouri bootheel. You sounded normal to me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Haha, I understand that completely. For me it’s hearing myself and realizing just how bad my southern drawl really is.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Second time's the charm. You did a really good job. And now I have to watch the DIY ATO video from The King of DIY!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Hey the southern drawl is good! Makes you sound like you mean business! If it was hillbilly like Lawnmower "I know my rights" Steve then you might want to work on it but a Texan drawl is just fine haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I grew up in the Missouri bootheel. You sounded normal to me. lol
    Are you part of them folk that say it as M'zeruh?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Heck no. I pronounce it with the long e sound at the end. You know, like it's supposed to be pronounced.

Are you part of them folk that say it as M'zeruh?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The one part I didn't document in the video was what happens when the overflow becomes clogged or the overflow's siphon fails. I honestly don't know how people's overflow siphons fail. I have turned off my pump many many times for maintenance and feedings and not once has that U-tube for the overflow lost its prime. The only way I can think of for that to fail is if the overflow box were to somehow run completely dry or the person lifts up the tube so that one of the ends comes out of the water.

Maybe Matt will be able to simulate a clog with his next video, since he has gate and ball valves in his drain pipes that he can close. His system actually has redundancy built in for that issue, as well, since he put in an emergency backup drain that will assume the flow in the event that the primary drain becomes clogged. Even without a backup drain, though, you will be safe from overfilling as long as you leave extra room in the DT to handle whatever water sits in that last chamber.

I had a lot of doubts about running a sump and the potential dangers, but I can honestly say that now that I have a sump and HOB overflow that all of those dangers can be 100% avoided by just paying attention to what you're doing and do test runs before adding animals. Set everything up, fill the tanks, run the pump and just take your time and watch how it all works. Play around with it and intentionally pull power or clog up the drain so you can see exactly how the system responds to the two possibilities and make your adjustments accordingly. Once you see how simple the adjustments/solutions are, you will feel 100% safe about the setup.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 09-13-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @BluewaterBoof Thank you for all the tips, Andre. If we go with a sump, we'll probably err on the side of caution as much as possible. After talking more with the hubs last night, he says he's not totally opposed to the sump idea. But I could tell by the way he said it that he's not totally on board with it either. He still doesn't like the idea of having a drilled tank, even more so if the holes are drilled in the bottom of the tank instead of on the sides. But since there's always the option of adding an HOB overflow, I'm not going to worry about that part too much.

Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast