· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 44 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I've had my clownfish pair for 3 years. They're both still about the same size though. I'm guessing that means there hasn't been a transition yet. Ugh. I hope I don't end up with a bully clownfish.
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    the biggest caution against the damsel is that you already have clowns. Once one of them transitions into a female youíll have a little devil on your hands. My female clown will take on anything in the tank. Itís her tank and she knows it. I love her and I always have pep talks with new fish before they go in. Pep talks are all about dealing with her.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    With mine itís the first day or two they are in the tank. I may try an acclimation box one day. After that she just defends her area.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    You've had them for 3 years? How big are they? I think they're more likely to form a pair if there are more in the harem and with an anemone present.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    You've had them for 3 years? How big are they? I think they're more likely to form a pair if there are more in the harem and with an anemone present.
    It will be 3 years in November. I'd say they're about 2 inches or so. They didn't want to be still for a pic with the ruler, but my flame cardinal struck a pretty pose.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Substrate and Snails

0 Not allowed!
    When I moved everything from the 20g to the 40B, I literally moved everything, including all the sand, because I was worried about accidentally throwing out a snail or other live critter. If / when I upgrade to a larger tank, I want to change out the substrate, but I do not want to lose any of my critters.

What have you done when changing substrate in order to make sure no critters get lost in the shuffle?

And what is your preferred substrate for a SW tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    It will be very difficult to retain all of the life that is living in the current substrate if you are going to swap it out for something else. You may get a decent yield of critters by using something like a plastic colander to sieve out the larger stuff, but you're going to have to accept that you will not be able to transfer most of the smaller organisms.

I recently just started adding Caribsea's Arag-Alive Fiji Pink (it's not pink, BTW) to my tank and I absolutely LOVE the grain size. Fine like beach sand but big enough not to blow around easily.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm ok with not carrying over the smaller organisms, but I don't want to lose the snails that I've bought. It sounds like I'll be doing a some sand sifting when I break down the 40B. I figured that would be the case, but thought I'd ask in case somebody had some nifty trick to share.

I'm happy to hear that about the Fiji pink sand, both that it's not really pink and that it's a nice grain size. I'm leaning toward that for the new substrate. I may mix several kinds together, since I'll likely need more than one bag. It's probably going to depend on selection when it comes down to purchase time.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    It will be very difficult to retain all of the life that is living in the current substrate if you are going to swap it out for something else. You may get a decent yield of critters by using something like a plastic colander to sieve out the larger stuff, but you're going to have to accept that you will not be able to transfer most of the smaller organisms.

I recently just started adding Caribsea's Arag-Alive Fiji Pink (it's not pink, BTW) to my tank and I absolutely LOVE the grain size. Fine like beach sand but big enough not to blow around easily.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I think sifting is your best bet. Or strap a glove on and just dig through it and see what you find. Also look at the Bimini pink, it has an awesome mix of stuff in it. I even had some shells and a few pieces of coral skeleton in it. Itís not what I was planning on using but Iím glad I did. I love the different size grains and little pebbles and stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I like that. To me that looks more natural than what I have. I think what I have now is cheap pool filter sand. I've had it for so long that I can't remember. Thank you for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Yeah I think sifting is your best bet. Or strap a glove on and just dig through it and see what you find. Also look at the Bimini pink, it has an awesome mix of stuff in it. I even had some shells and a few pieces of coral skeleton in it. It’s not what I was planning on using but I’m glad I did. I love the different size grains and little pebbles and stuff.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2566f93a20.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What am I seeing here? The snails laid eggs on the glass and the bristleworms are eating the eggs?

Page 44 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast