· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 41 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

Cool Color me surprised!

1 Not allowed!
    What color would that be anyway?

So... I talked to the hubs last night about my tank upgrade / home remodeling distraction project idea. I thought for sure it would be shot down with practical and rational reasoning. He said he's on board. Say what?

His only stipulation is that I not set up the tank until the house is done. Which is fine and covers the practical and rational part. But I have the green light to start looking for the tank, stand, canopy and other parts and pieces. I think going to see that huge tank over the weekend helped my case. The lady was talking to the hubs about the tank while her husband and I were looking at all the parts and livestock. I heard her telling him about how water volume affects tank stability and why more water is more better. She said it smarter and classier though. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    What color would that be anyway?

So... I talked to the hubs last night about my tank upgrade / home remodeling distraction project idea. I thought for sure it would be shot down with practical and rational reasoning. He said he's on board. Say what?

His only stipulation is that I not set up the tank until the house is done. Which is fine and covers the practical and rational part. But I have the green light to start looking for the tank, stand, canopy and other parts and pieces. I think going to see that huge tank over the weekend helped my case. The lady was talking to the hubs about the tank while her husband and I were looking at all the parts and livestock. I heard her telling him about how water volume affects tank stability and why more water is more better. She said it smarter and classier though. lol
    Awesome! still looking at about a 75?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll be looking for a 65 gallon tank and am thinking about adding a 20 gallon sump. I'd really like to have a 75, but we don't have the space for a 4 foot tank in our living room and that's where we spend our evenings. I could possibly put a 75 elsewhere in the house, but I can't see putting time, energy and lots of money into a tank that I wouldn't spend much time watching. I'm hoping to increase stability and reduce maintenance with the additional water volume. My stocking and coral plans are staying the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Awesome! still looking at about a 75?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I'll be looking for a 65 gallon tank and am thinking about adding a 20 gallon sump. I'd really like to have a 75, but we don't have the space for a 4 foot tank in our living room and that's where we spend our evenings. I could possibly put a 75 elsewhere in the house, but I can't see putting time, energy and lots of money into a tank that I wouldn't spend much time watching. I'm hoping to increase stability and reduce maintenance with the additional water volume. My stocking and coral plans are staying the same.
    I understand that completely. I feel the same way about my tanks, I want the living room and our bedroom because that's where we spend our time. My frag tank will be in the spare room, but that's ok because it wont be a display tank. So is this going to replace the 40B? If so, if you have the room you could convert that into a sump, and it would add tons of volumn.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, this will be replacing the 40B. I hadn't thought about using it for a sump. I've got an extra 20g tank, which is why I was thinking of using that size. Now you've given me something else to consider. I'm hoping I can find a drilled 65. Otherwise I'll have to work up the nerve to drill it or look into other options for connecting everything.

I understand that completely. I feel the same way about my tanks, I want the living room and our bedroom because that's where we spend our time. My frag tank will be in the spare room, but that's ok because it wont be a display tank. So is this going to replace the 40B? If so, if you have the room you could convert that into a sump, and it would add tons of volumn.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, this will be replacing the 40B. I hadn't thought about using it for a sump. I've got an extra 20g tank, which is why I was thinking of using that size. Now you've given me something else to consider. I'm hoping I can find a drilled 65. Otherwise I'll have to work up the nerve to drill it or look into other options for connecting everything.
    Well depending on the stand design, you may not have enough room for the 40 below the tank. If you could get it in there it would be nice. Otherwise a 20 gallon would work just fine. They are pricey but look on ebay and they have acrylic conversion kits for some typical aquarium sizes like a 20 gallon. They include all the baffles plus usually a filter sock holder. All you do is silicon them into place. Again they are pricey but it would turn a normal aquarium into a very nice sump. Most even include enough baffles to have refugium.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sump-Kit-Re...8AAOSw7zlZj3F5

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't done much research on sumps yet. I'm guessing there are different kinds? I'd like to have space for the skimmer, heater and growing some macro algae. I'm not opposed to having macro algae in the DT, if there's not room for it in the sump. Having never dealt with sumps and not knowing much about them, I think I'll want to keep it very basic. I'll start looking on ebay to see what the options are and to get ideas. Thank you for the tip and the link!

Well depending on the stand design, you may not have enough room for the 40 below the tank. If you could get it in there it would be nice. Otherwise a 20 gallon would work just fine. They are pricey but look on ebay and they have acrylic conversion kits for some typical aquarium sizes like a 20 gallon. They include all the baffles plus usually a filter sock holder. All you do is silicon them into place. Again they are pricey but it would turn a normal aquarium into a very nice sump. Most even include enough baffles to have refugium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    If your going to have a sump, I do encourage have a refugium for macro algae. I have it in mine and it grows like crazy, and has performed well. Actually to the point I no longer run my skimmer 24 hours a day. I actually run the two opposite of each other, skimmer during the day and fuge at night. I started having the opposite problem, low nutrients.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's good to know about the skimmer. I'm still trying to break in my little Eshopps, although since there aren't any fish in the DT right now, it probably doesn't have much gunk to collect. I believe I read somewhere, long ago, that you should run your lights for DT and fuge on opposite schedules. Something about nutrient or oxygen or something release and balancing the two. I've got so much research and re-research to do!

If your going to have a sump, I do encourage have a refugium for macro algae. I have it in mine and it grows like crazy, and has performed well. Actually to the point I no longer run my skimmer 24 hours a day. I actually run the two opposite of each other, skimmer during the day and fuge at night. I started having the opposite problem, low nutrients.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That's good to know about the skimmer. I'm still trying to break in my little Eshopps, although since there aren't any fish in the DT right now, it probably doesn't have much gunk to collect. I believe I read somewhere, long ago, that you should run your lights for DT and fuge on opposite schedules. Something about nutrient or oxygen or something release and balancing the two. I've got so much research and re-research to do!
    Yes you want to run them opposite, it has to do with keeping the ph swings less at night time. With no fish in the tank is a great time to break it in, because it's not being used as a display at the moment.

Page 41 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast