· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

Default Buying coral while on vacation

0 Not allowed!
    I would never try this with fish, but am wondering about the care requirements for coral and the viability of bringing some home with me, collected along the way while on vacation. We are going on vacation at the beginning of October and will be in or around several large cities that are likely to have some nice LFS. I could bring a cooler. While at the hotel I could run a heater and circulation pump. While on the road I could run a battery powered bubbler.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Where are you going exactly? You can't legally harvest corals in the US with the exception of one kind and/or if you have licenses for aquaculture/etc.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I would never try this with fish, but am wondering about the care requirements for coral and the viability of bringing some home with me, collected along the way while on vacation. We are going on vacation at the beginning of October and will be in or around several large cities that are likely to have some nice LFS. I could bring a cooler. While at the hotel I could run a heater and circulation pump. While on the road I could run a battery powered bubbler.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Where are you going exactly? You can't legally harvest corals in the US with the exception of one kind and/or if you have licenses for aquaculture/etc.
    I believe the OP meant buying coral, not harvesting it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Oops, missed the LFS part. Thanks, Matt.

Depends on the coral, if it's a small frag, you can probably pull it off without light for a few days.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I believe the OP meant buying coral, not harvesting it
    Yes. I will not be doing any harvesting, only shopping. The closest we'll get to any oceans will be zoo exhibits, hopefully at both the Indianapolis and Cincinnati zoo. Although I haven't hit up Google yet to see if they have aquariums. I'm guessing they do. Our last stop will be at the annual sci-fi convention we attend in Collinsville, IL. I did Google that area and discovered there are 3 LFS within 15 or so mile radius of the convention center. The hubs has been informed that I will wish to visit those and allocate some of our vacation funds toward potential coral purchases. If I shop on Saturday and we go home on Sunday, I think any coral I purchase should do ok. I'll just have to refrain from shopping in Indiana and Ohio.
    Last edited by showmebutterfly; 08-28-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!

Depends on the coral, if it's a small frag, you can probably pull it off without light for a few days.
    It would probably be neat to snorkel and all that, but we like being on dry land. lol I've reigned in my overachieving thoughts of shopping for coral at LFS across 4 Midwest states and will try to be content to stop in at 2-3 near the end of our trip. Maximum wishing. Minimal time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I would say if it would be less than 24 hours between going in the container and going in the tank you’ll be fine. I’ve traveled a bunch of times with frags. In fact there is a cooler that goes with us on any road trip just in case I find something i have to have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No problem, my friend
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It would be over 24 hours, probably between 30-36 hours. I will be bringing a small cooler. I would guess that stable temperature is the most important thing for the corals.
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    I would say if it would be less than 24 hours between going in the container and going in the tank you’ll be fine. I’ve traveled a bunch of times with frags. In fact there is a cooler that goes with us on any road trip just in case I find something i have to have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    In nz we try for next day delivery for fish or coral shipments. Some times it takes 24hrs to 48. No issues

Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast