· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 32 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I plan on leaving it like this for a while. The lonely little rock in the back left corner is there because I gave up trying to fit it in amongst the rest. It gets to stay in the tank because of it's brittle star inhabitants though. There's lots of nooks and crannies and little caves for the gobies and blenny. And many levels of surface area for future corals.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fb8975ea36.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e9071af819.jpg
    I really like the scape, you made that 40 gallon look a lot bigger than it is. Great depth with the rock. Plus when you get into coral you gave yourself tons of surface are to work with, plus some sand bed for coral that will do better in the sand. I really like it. Makes me want to redo my dads tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Looks good!...once those corals grow in we'll need some before/after shots
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I like the scape. :)

The surface looks pretty calm. You might want to point one of your circulation pumps towards the surface to increase agitation. Will keep the tank nice and oxygenated as well as keep the pH high and stable.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I was trying to leave space all around in case I need to scrape the glass or get in there with a small siphon. I tried to keep coral placement in mind too. I really like how some of the rocks look and may be a little sad to see them covered up, but I'm sure that's something I'll get over once I have happy corals.
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    I really like the scape, you made that 40 gallon look a lot bigger than it is. Great depth with the rock. Plus when you get into coral you gave yourself tons of surface are to work with, plus some sand bed for coral that will do better in the sand. I really like it. Makes me want to redo my dads tank.
    Thank you. There will definitely be more pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Looks good!...once those corals grow in we'll need some before/after shots
    Thank you. I've been trying to experiment with the pumps while the fish aren't in there to get all jumpy. With the 2 pumps I have in there now I'm trying to get the water to flow around the middle and base of the rockwork as much as possible, without rearranging the sand. In the back I have an AC70 on the left side and an AC30 on the right, which help some with surface agitation, but I will probably end up adding a third circulation pump. I want to try placing it in the middle of the back wall, pointed at the surface and the front wall. I want good flow, but nothing too turbulent since I plan on having a softie dominated tank, with just a very few LPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I like the scape. :)

The surface looks pretty calm. You might want to point one of your circulation pumps towards the surface to increase agitation. Will keep the tank nice and oxygenated as well as keep the pH high and stable.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    looks like the project is coming along nicely. I enjoyed your videos.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Brian! I like the ones with music added to cover the background noise, but my video editing skills haven't advanced that far yet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    looks like the project is coming along nicely. I enjoyed your videos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

0 Not allowed!
    I have the opportunity to buy this light https://www.aquaticwarehouse.com/cur...xoCegQQAvD_BwE for $40. It's used, the seller is an hour away and unable to meet halfway. It's still a bargain. I was excited about it last night. Today I'm waffling, but I'm tired, so there's that. The reviews I've read said that it is a good light for growing softies and some LPS. I have no desire to try my hand with SPS, because they do need the better lighting, are more particular about flow and need more pristine water conditions. Since I plan on remaining sumpless and skimmerless, I'll always be running a 'dirty' tank. I think this light will work for me, but I'm questioning whether it's worth the drive. It's worth the price, for sure. But maybe not worth a 2+ hour round trip to get it.

What do y'all think? Would you snap it up or let it go?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    It's a great price but I will put in my two cents about the orbit lights, I hate to discourage but this is just my experience. I had two on my 34 gallon and it just wasn't enough if you reduce the white channel. I like the blue's just because of the color it gives the coral. So I ran my at 100% blue and about 25% white and even my zoa were stretching out to get closer to the light. If you ran both channels at 100% maybe that would be different. With my personal experience I wouldn't buy them again. The two I had are currently on my dads 20 gallon and it seems to be working on his tank. He wants SPS so we'll see how they do with that. We added a birdsnest and an acro to his tank about a week ago so I can't attest to how they are doing with them.

Sorry if this discourages you, I didn't mean to. I don't think for a second you need to spend an obscene amount of money on lights, just not sure if these are right.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I have no idea what you could spend on lights, but I know @BluewaterBoof mentioned SB reeflights. I think that would be a great option. I spoke to the owner on facebook yesterday and for my 48" x 24" frag tank he suggested a single 16" light about 18" above the tank and would get great coverage. Just an idea, they are not the cheapest light but by far not the most expensive either. Customer service is above and beyond too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I appreciate you sharing your experience! And I'm ok with being discouraged. Honestly, I think I'm trying to talk myself out of snapping up a bargain just because I'm too tired to make the drive. Even though the hubs will probably be doing the driving lol I have 2 of their FW lights and we like those, but I realize that just because they make good FW lights that does not necessarily mean that they also make good marine lights. I know they're a good brand, but that doesn't automatically make them the right choice. Does that make any kind of sense?
    How tall was your 34g? I know the depth of the tank and how far the light has to travel can affect coral growth. The light would be approximately 16" away from the lowest corals. I'm hoping to have mostly mushrooms, with a hammer or frogspawn coral, a Kenya or colt tree and / or maybe a toadstool leather coral. Zoas might be added, but they're not high on my list, although I would like to have some of these.

Yellow_Polyps_grande.jpg

I'm not in a huge rush to get a light, but if I can find the right one at the right price, might as well get it. I'll be curious to see how well the SPS do in your dad's tank with that light. I hope you'll post updates on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    It's a great price but I will put in my two cents about the orbit lights, I hate to discourage but this is just my experience. I had two on my 34 gallon and it just wasn't enough if you reduce the white channel. I like the blue's just because of the color it gives the coral. So I ran my at 100% blue and about 25% white and even my zoa were stretching out to get closer to the light. If you ran both channels at 100% maybe that would be different. With my personal experience I wouldn't buy them again. The two I had are currently on my dads 20 gallon and it seems to be working on his tank. He wants SPS so we'll see how they do with that. We added a birdsnest and an acro to his tank about a week ago so I can't attest to how they are doing with them.

Sorry if this discourages you, I didn't mean to. I don't think for a second you need to spend an obscene amount of money on lights, just not sure if these are right.

Page 32 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast