· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 30 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Everyone made it through the night and seem to be settling in okay. This morning the flame cardinal was hanging out in the back corner, the clownfish and blenny were swimming around, the clown goby was perched on the heater and the neon goby was hiding in one of the PVC pieces, but came out when I dropped a little food in the tank. I don't think everybody got to eat this morning, but everyone was interested in eating, so that's a good sign. I will need to remember to turn off the airstone when I feed so the little ones have a better chance at getting some food.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear everyone is doing ok this morning.

Have any of the other fish developed spots, yet?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Boof. I'm not certain, since it's hard to see them clearly in the tote. I didn't notice any new spots on them last night, before they got moved. One of the clowns was doing a lot of flashing last night, but I didn't see any of that behavior this morning. I didn't get to observe them for very long this morning since I had to get ready for work. I'll probably be spending a lot of my evening checking on them and counting heads. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Glad to hear everyone is doing ok this morning.

Have any of the other fish developed spots, yet?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh that's right, I forgot you put them in a tote. That would make it pretty hard to see haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    sounds like it is coming along nicely.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    All the fish are still alive this morning. I'm hoping they all got some food last night, at least they each seemed to be trying to get their share. I did not see any spots on the neon goby, so I guess his have dropped off, and I did not see any spots on the other fish. If that's still the case this evening I will probably go ahead and transfer them to the other tote. What I understood from my research is that you can transfer them as many times as you like, as long as each transfer occurs within 72 hours and the total treatment time should be a minimum of 12 days.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find an empty corner somewhere and something sturdy to set the 20g on so I can start getting some new filter media cycled to have it ready for when the fish can move out of the totes. I guess I was talking fast and not making much sense last night because the hubs thought I was saying that I need to get another 20g tank. Nope. Just something to set the tank on in a spot away from the other tanks. I've read there's a '10 foot rule' about keeping QT at least 10' away from the DT. The totes are over 10' away from the DT and I want the QT 10' away from both the DT and the totes. We live in a little house with lots of stuff. I may be setting the empty QT up in the basement and then dragging everything back upstairs when it's time to add the fish. Ah, the fun times of an overthinking crazy woman.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Your journal is the first I've heard of the transfer method, and I must say I find a lot of appeal to it. Is the 72 hr transfer requirement due to the life cycle of the tomonts, giving the parasite time to fall off the fish but not giving them enough time to hatch and release new tomites?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, that's exactly how it's supposed to work to get rid of the ich. I read about it on another forum and it seemed like the best option for me. Trying to dose copper and keep that at the correct level or treating with hyposalinity and trying to keep that at the correct level just seemed like there was too much room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Your journal is the first I've heard of the transfer method, and I must say I find a lot of appeal to it. Is the 72 hr transfer requirement due to the life cycle of the tomonts, giving the parasite time to fall off the fish but not giving them enough time to hatch and release new tomites?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I bought an old metal desk from the thrift store for less than $7 (and that's with tax included) to use as a temporary stand for the QT. It ain't too pretty, but it's functional. I'm glad it's set up again and ready to start cycling.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    First, congrats on upgrading to a larger tank and venturing into the world of reef tanks.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with ICH. It is a notorious parasite in the SW community and most likely present in every distribution chain. A lot of places will dilute the copper solution to keep the parasite from taking over and you won't be able to see it until you bring it home, and without any copper; the parasite spring back to life. These places did not treat the parasite but simply hid it for the time being.

TTM and copper and leaving the main tank fallow for 6 weeks + are the best way to deal with ich. Definitely anything can have ich on it, which is why I also QT for 6 weeks prior to adding anything to a main tank. Never had an ich breakout in a main tank since I started doing strict QT and doing everything in separate rooms/separate houses. It's a hassle but not nearly worth the hassle of trying to deal with it any diseases in an established reef tank. Not to mention the cost involved for me if the disease does break out in a main tank...

Seems like you've done your homework already with TTM, so continue with it. Copper is effective, but deadly to sensitive fishes and inverts. Eels don't take too kindly to copper either and may just stop eating completely. I'd do more than 12 days worth of TTM, just to make sure all off cycle bugs are caught.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Page 30 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast