· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Food for new Electric Blue Acara

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all! I finally added a fish other than corydoras to my 40g breeder. It is an Electric blue acara. So far so good, it is switching between rock caves maybe trying to find a space it likes? I was wondering if you guys could give me recommendations on food brands and types.

So far I just have foods for my cories, including hikari sinking wafers, Fluval Bug Bites, Aquatic Blends Shrimp & Krill mix, Frozen Brine Shrimp, and Live white worms.

What can I add for the new one? Which cichlid foods and brands are best? I'm so used to pellets and wafers, but do i need flakes or something like that? Or freeze dried? I used to have freeze dried brine shrimp, but it was so hard to sink for the cories that I just threw it out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I was going to post an interesting video I had just seen and I noticed that there had been no responses to this post. Hopefully you have seen other posts recommending different foods and this thread has several good suggestions - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=128115

Here also is the video I found interesting regarding freeze dried foods

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    I still stand by what I wrote in that food thread. I stick with NLS, NorthFin, Omega One. I feed the bug bites only once a week since I found out peas were not great as a staple food. But I love the black soldier fly ingredient and so do my fish!

That video reminded me of my angelfish in my 90g about two weeks ago. I must have overfed, or he overrate, but when the lights turned on, he was nose down just like that discus. It was very stressful and I had never seen anything like that it and out of no where. I didn't move him because he was fighting to swim anyway, and I didn't think it was anything contagious. So I have an acrylic breeder box that I placed in the aquarium and put him inside so he was protected from the other angelfish. I added a ceiling of water lettuce so he could relax without floating and drying out.

The only thing in the vid I wasn't sure of is using sodium chloride salt and just dumping it in without dissolving first. It's sodium magnesium salt that helps a fish expel it's fluids.

I didn't use any salt at all and just let him be overnight, nice and safe in the box close to the filter flow. The very next day he was upright in the box with a bunch of poop on the box floor. I was able to let him go free and now he's the second alfa male. He doesn't breed, but he rushes all the other angelfish away from a feeding area. The guy loves his food lol.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=128106&page=3
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry we missed your post @Pariss
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat