· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default advise needed for our ill betta fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all... I would really appreciate some advice, we were given a 'gold fish' that turned out to be a beautiful betta fish. It came is a tiny bowl with a massive plastic plant - so hardly any room to move not that he actually moved anyway..... we did some research and brought a 25Litre tank with heater and filter gravel and a lump of bog wood and a real plant + moss balls. He seemed so happy and constantly swam - to the point I googled why my betta fish swims so dramatically... he seemed loney so we brought two snails also. One day he was going crazy swimming up and down the front of the tank over and over and I noticed a white ball attached to his gill. I live up a mountain and aquarium shops are few and far between but we brought medication which turned out to be fin rot medication - I thought it was fungal infection but the lady in the shop insisted that was correct meds. that didn't work. so I brought fungal meds, at which point the white cotton ball turned grey and his gills look darker around the edges he also has this gold shimmer under his chin. So after doctor google had assured me it was velvet (and all the other meds had not worked) I have now received online some JBL oodinol plus 250 which we have put into the tank. whilst I was waiting for the delivery I turned up the heat and covered the tank - as i read they need light to live. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to keep this little fella alive because we really love him and quite honestly have spent a small fortune keeping him alive so far........ I have ordered some aquarium salt which should come tomorrow........ I have water conditioner, a bacteria thing you add after medication also...... Any advice much appreciated!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

I would not be adding medications/chemicals to the tank without knowing what the issue is with the spotting.

Fresh clean water is the best thing for him right now...be sure to read the following sticky, his tank needs to be "cycled" in order for him to live and thrive

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

What country are you located in?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.

I would not be adding medications/chemicals to the tank without knowing what the issue is with the spotting.

Fresh clean water is the best thing for him right now...be sure to read the following sticky, his tank needs to be "cycled" in order for him to live and thrive

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

What country are you located in?
    Hi
    I understand the theory behind the cycle and have been doing regular testing and water changes - we have good water conditions- he definitely has velvet - all the symptoms add up and it just took a while for them to show up properly - its difficult to tell what is wrong initially his gills are clamped and he is using his ability to take air from the surface - still hungry and still swimming well - very inquisitive - he is still alive which surprise me - he is a hardy little fella........I have already dosed him with the copper stuff and he is doing ok..............we are in france.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of test kit do you have?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    In the pic, I can't see anything wrong with him. But my platies came down with velvet once, it was very hard to see. I finally used a flashlight to observe. I believe the parasite erupted due to temperature fluctuations in the spring and a faulty heater. Maybe the temperature adjustment brought them on for you too. Try to keep the temp consistent going forward.

First and foremost, ensure ammonia is kept at 0ppm and nitrite as well with a cycled tank and water changes.

What dosage of sodium chloride are you going to use? 1 tsp per gallon is suggested for velvet treament. You can add it slowly over an 8-16 hour period to not change the water parameters too quickly. You can go up to 1 tablespoon per gallon for velvet treament, but that dosage should be added over a period of 3 days. I don't like using copper in aquariums because it soaks into the silicone and stays there (seems like) forever. Copper is very toxic to inverts like snails and shrimp, so you might have trouble keeping them in this tank going forward. I honestly can't remember what I did for my platies
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-22-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat