· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Spawning Trochus

3 Not allowed!
    Was doing some maintenance on the tank last night and was treated to a very cool show.

I looked up at my overflow box and noticed one of my trochus was venting some material that was getting pulled into the weir. It took me only a moment to realize what I was seeing and I immediately turned off the pump and wavemakers. Although this is the first time Iíve seen my snails do this, I had seen a stomatella do it once in the past. At the time I didnít understand what I was seeing and had removed the stomatella in fear that it was an invasive pest that was releasing some type of toxin into the water. It was only afterwards that I found out that it was not a pest and was simply spawning into the water column. So this time I turned everything off except for the lights and sat back and enjoyed the show.

Not the best photos but you get the idea.

BD252C47-06D5-456E-9660-541F4A61FDF2.jpg

2615F44B-9BEC-4205-817D-536377D65237.jpg

I donít know how long the dude had already been spawning before I finally noticed, but the female arrived about five minutes after I started watching. She didnít do much at first except for moving in and out of the water, and for a while I was wondering if she was just another male. About ten minutes into the show, she started spawning her eggs into the water and confirmed that she was, in fact, a she :)

527C231D-AA0B-4125-A656-07BE2ED4B2B1.jpg

I apologize for the crummy photos. I wasnít sure how long what I was witnessing would last, and my phone had less than 5% charge left on it, so I didnít waste time trying to adjust the blue and white lights and play with the color filters to get the colors corrected. In addition to the colors and lighting being off, the spawning was clouding up the water and making it hard to get sharp images.

It is very interesting to note what today is. The summer solstice. I had only just recently read about how flower anemones spawn at solstice and equinox, so last night when I told my wife that I was curious if the solstice was near and the snails were on the same spawning schedule as flower nems. I had no idea that this was happening a mere five hours from true solstice until I saw some articles in the news today hahaha

Truly impressive how instincts kick in. Even being in an artificial environment for their whole life, in some random house in the middle of the high desert, these guys knew what day it was almost down to the hour (this happened around 11pm our time).

The show lasted about 40 mins, and the tank was an absolute mess. It was so cloudy it looked like some crazy bacterial bloom.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    that is very interesting about the solstice. just goes to show how organized and in tune natures creatures are. for being simple creatures in a relative term they sure have interesting behavior.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Really cool about the solstice! Congrats on the spawning snails :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Update!

It is official. Little tiny trochus have been sighted! Watch to the end of the clip as I back away from the tank and show you just how tiny this little guy is!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Omg! Your tank looks awesome! Love the lighting :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    that is crazy coool
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Kat and Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Love the lighting :)
    Haha I only turned the whites up so that you could see the itty bitty snail. You and Butterfly are nuts :) I played around with the lights after the two of you told me how much more you liked it with the whites mixed in and both my wife and son gave me looks like:

fu8goh.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Lol, it just brings out so many other colors like reds and purples and greens. With the actinic, it all looks blueish. But this is coming from a FW person.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

4 Not allowed!
    I totally agree with you, Kat. I can't hardly see anything when the actinic lights are on. I love being able to see all the colors. And I'm ok with being nuts. I've been that way all my life. lol

Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Lol, it just brings out so many other colors like reds and purples and greens. With the actinic, it all looks blueish. But this is coming from a FW person.