· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Everyone has good points. Over the last couple of months, I have taken the rocks all out, scrubbed them in a bucket of half syphoned aquarium water and half water treated with seachum's prime. While the rocks were out, I removed about sixty percent of the water, took my hand and stirred the gravel to release the crap under it, syphoned it, put new, treated water in, and repeated the process no more than four times because i didn't think the fish could take any more. Replaced all of the rocks,turned the filter back on.I've cleaned the filter a couple of times, following the directions not to replace more than one thing at a cleaning to preserve BB. I don't touch the ceramic rings which sit in the middle container of the cannister. Even though there are several things that might make understanding the problem easier, I would have to write about two pages worth of thread, so I'm trying to give what seems most relevant. the fluval was working great as far as suction and a powerful jet of clean water coming back into the tank. In the past two or so weeks, the flow was markedly decreased. I took the canister apart after locking the pressure on the hoses. At that time, the brown slime had clogged the first line of filtration which are the large particle sponges. those I rinsed in treated water. I did replace the charcoal because I wanted to put the fluval charcoal/ammonia detox mix bags. I rinsed the bottom container sponges which the suctioned water passes through secondly, and used treated water. I did not replace then. The ceramic rings I didn't touch and they had remained submerged in the canister water during this time. The hoses were reattached and the filter started again. Although the water stream was better, it was still markedly decreased. Since the canister was ruled out as the culprit, and you only get back what goes in, there has to be a problem with the suction from the intake hose. (I took apart the basket and scrubbed it with treated water). Since the system worked fine for the majority of the time I had it, the set up cannot be the culprit. that will be taken care of what I replace things. I plan to have everything ready before starting the cleaning to make the time of cleaning as short as possible. I do have some questions.
    1)If the bottom is left bare, how do I keep the rocks from falling. Some are odd shaped and rely on substrate to steady them.
    2)Once sand and rocks are in, how do you vacuum the bottom in areas where there are rock caves and passages where the vacuum cannot get into
    3) what is the best vacuum for sand the picks up the most material while disturbing the sand the least
    4) does sand cause filter problems the motor for the fluval is enclosed, but there is a moving wheel that helps bring in the water
    5) A while back, I was researching sand for aquariums and found disagreements on what kind was safe. Some said sandbox sand was fine, other said it wasn't. I have no sites for these as it was too long ago, and I really didn't take much notice of the names of the sites. What has been the best based on everyone's experience on safety, color, consistency and easiest to work with. (I remember something about certain sand causing injuries to fish gills)
    6)If the water in the canister is kept and then after the tank is done and the filter turned on, will that water reintroduce any pathogens and start problems again.

Thank you everyone helping on this. I know you don't have much information to work with, and that can be very frustrating. As I said, there are a lot of little things that were not added to the thread because it is so long to begin with. Those facts I weeded out because they were either insignificant or something I know how to deal with.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    1. You can put enough sand under the rocks to steady them
    2. Rock caves should be dismantled once a week so you can vacuum underneath them
    3. Best sand size is #20 or grain size 0.45-.85 mm, which generally doesnt get sucked up by gravity fed vacuum
    4. You can always put a coarse sponge prefilter on the intake to prevent sand from going in. The maxijet powerhead prefilters may fit. This would mean that you take off the prefilter to be rinsed during each water change to prevent being clogged.
    5. Playsand needs to be rinsed, way too fine, so it is easily sucked up and gets compacted, which produces anaerobic spots. I've used it before for sandsifters. Stick with #20 sized silica sand. Pool filter sand is that size.
    6. There is also blow back from the canister filters, but if you regularly clean the canister so that you don't get the slime, it should be fine turning is off and then on again.

You can reduce sludge build up and not allow pathogenic to grow in great numbers within your substrate and canister with probiotics added to the water and fed to the fish. The water probiotics is a bit complicated at this point, so I would stick with feeding your fish with fish food that has proboitics and will reduce amount of waste produced if fed everyday

You can try the small size of New Life Spectrum Probiotix, which is fine for small mouth fish.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spec...wlife+spectrum

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Great info ^^

I've never kept African cichlids because my water is soft, but when I was first starting in the hobby, I asked the chain fish store about their African cichlid tank well, because, I always loved African cichlids too. Anyway, the tank was set up with a background rock wall with spaces and caves for the fish to sift through. The wall was pretty high, so I think the rocks were siliconed together in place. The foreground was open with gravel. Now I know that's a good setup for the store for customers to see the fish, but I'm just explaining. I asked how they vacuum in under the rocks. They told me there was styrofoam under the rocks to cushion them with gravel in front hiding the styrofoam (a bit of gravel on top of the styrofoam to camouflage). They said they don't vacuum the back because muck can't get caught there.

Is styrofoam under the lowest rocks a good or bad idea? This was like 10-12 years ago.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    thank you for answering all those questions. it gives me a clearer picture of what I need to have ready before I start.

I'm not sure if styrofoam is good or not. Its a good question though.

I'm fairly comfortable keeping all the fish in one plastic tub. I know they aren't fully matured, but even under stressful conditions ie, tearing down the tank and vacuuming it while they are still there, they have never fought. In fact they bunch together.
    Fortunately, the tank is acrylic and very light. It could be easily carried by one person when empty. That will make cleaning it easier. Right to the bath tube.

In the past, once I found out that cichlids in nature have sand on the bottom, and most pictures of cichlid tanks have sand as substrate as well. I was worried about what the sand would do to the fish and filter. Now I know what to use (thanks Rocksor).
    Premade caves that are real rock use an adhesive to keep their rocks in place, and it is supposed to be safe, but I saw it on amazon.com, and don't know how reliable the information is.
    One thing I will say about fluval is that the company is fast to respond to emails, and can actually think. Most companies under that sort of situation seem to have an analog of questions and get stuck if you ask something that isn't covered by the analog questions. They gave me some possible things that could be going on as well as explaining how to clean one filter hose without cause damage to it.

Thanks again, I never would have been able to get my tank from new to setup and cycled without the guidance here.
    marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Great, I'm glad you feel comfortable with the project :) Try to get a very large bin though like this one, close to the size of your tank.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-G...NE-4/205597365

You could even make a center brace by cutting the lid. Maybe not so good for storage though after.

This is going to work out
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to see if I can't find out why the filter is having trouble. Once that is done, I can probably clean out the tank and finish it within a couple of hours.
    I looked at sand sizes and put in #20 and all I got from amazon was 20 pounds.
    Couple more questions.
    Where do you get your sand
    I have a vacuum, but it is wearing out. What is the best syphon/vacuum for sand?
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Pool filter sand can be found at most Home Depots, Lowes (look in the pool supply section) and any pool store.

I use the Python brand of vacuums...I can't imagine how they would wear out.
    Last edited by Silbar; 06-23-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I got my PFS at pool and spa shops. Agreed, a python hose would make cleaning so much easier for you. Once you figure out how to start a siphon without sucking on the end, it's so easy peasy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...gBL&ref=plSrch

I actually run my new water into a bin first, let the gas stabilize a bit (I actually off-gas it first) but I add Prime to the bin right before I use the water (I dose the volume of the new water) and still use a juice jug (for my aquariums) and my arm muscles to fill the tank. I use gravity to siphon the tank out, I drain into the toilet, basement drain or outside if possible to feed the plants. Others fill straight into their aquarium, but I'm not sure of how much Prime to use for that.

It is also possible to make your own python. But the hoses on the original Python are less likely to accumulate crud and the hoses are nice, soft and pliable, easier to work with. I hang my pythons on the back of my fishroom door to keep them drier.
    -Kat