· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile Hairgrass trouble

1 Not allowed!
    I have been trying to grow a dwarf hairgrass carpet for almost 5 months, but the hairgrass has neither died off or grown much. The pH of the tank is 8. I planted the hairgrass in little clumps about an inch apart. I add liquid CO2 every day as well as flourish advance (which did improve the hairgrass growth... a little). The tank is 10 gallons. The substrate in the aquarium is fluorite, and it is 1 and a half inches deep, with a thin layer of gravel on top of that. Since hairgrass prefers finer substrate, should I mix some sand in with the fluorite, replace the fluorite with sand substrate, or do something else? Should I use more fluorite/sand to make the substrate deeper? Do you think root tabs would help? I am just using the lights that came with my tank, either 1.5 or 3 watts, but either way the lights probably need to be replaced with something stronger. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A33ZKFW4KOEZQ4 has good reviews, do you think it will be O.K. for growing hairgrass? I have not trimmed the hairgrass much because it does not grow much.

Thank you!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Hi @FishyNewbie!

In my experience, eleocharis needs good amounts of both carbon and light in order to flourish. Unfortunately, despite the hype, "liquid CO2" products are not effective supplements for carbon. Their active ingredient is glutaraldehyde, which is a nasty chemical used as a disinfectant in hospitals. In addition to their toxicity, they release negligible amounts of carbon. At standard dosage, glute degrades down and releases around 2ppm of carbon-bearing molecules over the course of ten hours, which means roughly 0.2ppm per hour. Your tank gets ~20x that just from atmospheric equilibrium from gas exchange at the surface. There is also the issue of glutaraldehyde being a protein fixative, which causes cellular damage over time (hence its use as a disinfectant).

Getting back to your plants, I have not grown DHG successfully over long term without injecting CO2. I have made a couple of attempts to wean it off of CO2 and each time it stalled and eventually disappeared over time as the more adaptable plants flourished and crowded out the eleocharis.

If you want the best growth, you need to inject. You can go the DIY route and make CO2 reactors by mixing baker's yeast and sugar in a bottle, or you can invest in a legit setup with a pressurized CO2 tank. For a 10g, a small paintball CO2 setup is more than sufficient, and the entire setup would run about $135. DIY is obviously a much cheaper option in the beginning, but most of us who start out that way get tired of the low pressure, inconsistent output, hunting down leaks, and having to make new batches all the time. At that point, a lot of folks just throw in the towel and buy a pressurized setup.

As for the Flourish Advance that you are using, that is not a fertilizer. It is a product that stimulates root development. You can keep using it, but you need to be supplying your macro and micro nutrients in order for the plants to take advantage of the Advance. Thrive all-in-one is a liquid fert that is gaining a ton of popularity in the hobby since it contains pretty much everything the plants need in one convenient bottle. If you like to tinker or be more hands-on with your tank, or you like to pinch pennies, getting dry ferts, like the E.I. package from GreenLeafAquariums along with a bag of pure unscented Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), will be something you might want to look into. The E.I. package is only $15 and gives you a pound of each compound, and you can get a couple pounds of magnesium sulfate for less than $10 from Amazon or local pharmacy stores like Walgreens or CVS.

I'm not familiar with that light. It's got good reviews and doesn't seem to be very expensive. Another option you have is to get those little Philips T2 Twister CFL bulbs, which fit into the generic hood for the 10g. I've grown both dwarf hairgrass, marsilea minuta, and dwarf baby tears without issue using these bulbs. You can find a 4-pack for fairly cheap here

Hope this helps, and happy planting!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Excellent info from Boof^^ I can't seem to grow DHG, but I don't use pressurized Co2 or carbon. It even died off in my newly dirted 5.5g with CFL lighting (years ago). I recently tried it again, I was advised to left it become established before trimming for the first time. After I trimmed the last batch, it melted completely, whereas before I trimmed, it was living but not spreading. Trimming the grass does encourage it to spread horizontally instead of vertically. Maybe a hormone promoting vertical growth at the tip is cut off like lawn grasses.

I checked out the light, it's only 6 watts total. So very energy preserving, but I'm afraid it might not be strong enough on it's own to grow DHG. I have better luck with 9w LED bulbs (so 18 watts). Those CFL spirals work too, but I haven't used them myself very much since I've found LED bulbs. I bought some LED bulbs at Dollarama, the cool white 5000k-5500k. If you do use the CFLs, those reptile dome lights provide great reflectors. Reflectors are not needed for LED since all the light can be reflecting straight down, not 360 lighting. Most LED diodes are 90-120.

Sometimes a certain plant just won't grow in a certain tank, so I've had to give up on plants before and let plants that do grow well take over because I don't want to change my setup and would rather keep something that will grow in my tank the way it is. But if your still set on DHG, I get it, you'll just have to tweak a few things until it likes your tank conditions.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    If you do use the CFLs, those reptile dome lights provide great reflectors.
    I was too cheap to buy the reflectors for my CFLs hahaha I bought one of those Mylar emergency blankets for like $3 from Walmart and just cut out sections and coated the inside of my hood with them

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for replying! I will check into DIY CO2 injectors ($135 is a lot to spend on a small tank). I'm getting actual plant fertilizer + will look into the CFL and LED bulbs.