· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Guppy 10 gallon fish tank

1 Not allowed!
    So I am new to the world of fish tanks. I want to put guppies in my 10 gallon freshwater tank. I've been trying to read up on information on them. Anyone have any advice on taking care of them, how many I should have in the tank? It says in one of the articles I read that they are known for eating their young. Is there any way of avoiding this without putting them in a separate tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    I would say 3-4 male guppies only. A 10g tank will be very very quickly over populated with fry if you have males and females.
    They reproduce at an astounding rate and even though they eat their young the population can quickly explode out of control.
    If you choose to have males and females have a plan in place for the fry and in most cases selling them becomes very difficult very quickly unless they are show fish lines and you have an established reputation.

To answer your question about preventing them from eating their young... A planted tank or otherwise providing an abundance of hiding places for the young will allow more to survive. Closely monitoring the female and removing her to a fry tank when she's ready or capturing fry and removing them would up their chances as well. Floating plants are great for fry to hide in.

But again. I strongly urge you to either have a solid plan in place to deal with the young, get males only or allow nature to take its course with a backup plan for the fry you will still get anyway.

For example, my son's platy tank. Started with 3 platy and I've packed to the LFS a couple dozen, fed off a LOT to a more aggressive tank of mine and given less than a dozen away. My LFS doesn't accept fry anymore and his tank is not setup to actually be an easy place for his fry to survive... That is in about 10 months time and I never pull fry to feed off until they come out of hiding to eat with the adults. And in his 20g tank I think currently there's around 8 platy a Molly and a Swordtail all female. They are still dropping fry from being exposed to a male several months ago and I'm beginning to believe some of the juvie males I pulled tagged them more recently as well.

Guppies mature quickly and reproduce at an amazing rate. Keeping them all is a feat accomplished by few and a lot of work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Good advice above, you could easily keep 8 or 10 male OR female guppies in a tank that size...just don't mix males with females, they'll breed so fast that you'll wish some of the fry would be eaten, lol.

Be sure to read as many threads in the Beginner section of the forum, particularly the threads on "cycling" a tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    welcome to the hobby. i am sure you will enjoy it esp if you do your homework and learn as much as you can. if you did not already know a female guppy or other live bearers can can store sperm and fertilize several more batches of fry without a male being present.