· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Fish tank lighting

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I have a 20 gal tank. The light is white and does light my tank but I was hoping to get light that really shows the fish like in the fish stores. I Have been to several but they don't really help that much. I just wish I could get a light that would really sharpen up the fish,decorations and the tank. My gravel is blue And I have different color tetras. I am wondering if light with a blue tint would show up better than the white. What do you think? Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Is it LED?

I think an actinic (blue) light would be fine, but you might prefer some white along with it because blue is not very bright to human eyes. The actinic light would give your white fish a blue tint. Blue fish will appear bluer. Reds will look more purply. Greens will look almost jade.

Are you looking to replace your current lighting or modify it (ex. add another color?) What do you have currently?

A really easy way to test a color is to filter the light with colored thin tablecloth strips.

If you are looking to replace the lighting completely, an LED with a RBG remote control spectrum light might be fun to play with. You could get a Current Satellite pro, but I think a mounted LED strip would work fine for you if you'd like a cheap option.

Here's one in a water-proof tube.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mingdak-Aquar...rium+led+strip
    You could use those 16.4 feet water-proof rolls, but you would have to mount them yourself somehow. That said, the rolls and power strips are around 10$ and more than enough for a 10g-20g. You could get another power supply cut the roll and have a strip or two for another tank as well.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for your help. I have the regular white lighting. I have 3 glo fish that are really looking good. Don't want to change the color. I got those three yesterday to add to the tank. Looking at it now I'm thinking maybe I should leave it alone. Also I think it might have been the water a little cloudy now it is clear.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Also if the fish are new, give them a chance to relax in their new tank and color up.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh hi ,

I can't believe this. I also have a 30gal tank that I am not using. I got the hood from the 30 gal an put on 20 gal oh my you should see the light. Just what I wanted. I looked at this hood and it has 2 skinny long bulbs one bright white and the other pink. No comparison in lighting of the tank. my 20 gal tank hood has one fat long light. Not bright. This one is perfect. Now all I have to do is find this hood for a 20 gal with the skinny long bulbs .Any suggestions? Thanks

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cody11 View Post
    Oh hi ,

I can't believe this. I also have a 30gal tank that I am not using. I got the hood from the 30 gal an put on 20 gal oh my you should see the light. Just what I wanted. I looked at this hood and it has 2 skinny long bulbs one bright white and the other pink. No comparison in lighting of the tank. my 20 gal tank hood has one fat long light. Not bright. This one is perfect. Now all I have to do is find this hood for a 20 gal with the skinny long bulbs .Any suggestions? Thanks
    If push comes to shove I will whip out the 30 gal and use it.