· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

Default The 20 gallon sps tank on a budget

1 Not allowed!
    Thought I would start this thread to get some ideas as I go. My dad likes aquariums but has never really gotten into them for various reasons. I have been trying to help him start a nano but haven't had much luck. He told me one day that its the SPS that he really likes and wants to keep. We discussed it would have to be a much better system to keep them. So I have set off to put together a nano, with on a budget that can support SPS.

I found a used 20 high with a 10 gallon sump that is already drilled for $40 so that is where we start. I have two current marine pros at the house and wanted to find a tank that could take advantage of them since I already have them. My experience with them was not great, but I think a small system will do good with these lights. I also have two the current wave makers so they will be utilized in this system as well. The 10 gallon sump only has two chambers and I want make it a three chamber for a refugium. I was thinking about making a non permanent baffle so we could adjust down the road. Looking for ideas on that front, I had considered using the coarse filter pads in a similar fashion to what BRS did. But I'm open to ideas on that.

We have the tanks, and hope to get them cleaned up and set up so we can take a look at where we are at with them. Looking forward to this build with my dad, I'm sure we will both learn a lot.

29496013_10211207758820228_2590262392164188160_o.jpg

29497787_10211207759100235_1536603431513358336_o.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice, how exciting, working with your dad. Will this be a saltwater tank? SPS?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Nice, how exciting, working with your dad. Will this be a saltwater tank? SPS?
    Yes it will, Small Polyp Stony coral. They tend to require better water quality then other coral.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    @angelcraze2

To expand on the differentiation between large polyp stony (LPS) and small polyp stony (SPS), here are a pair of photos:

LPS coral. The colony features polyps (each "mouth" with little feeder tentacles is a polyp) that are very large in structure. Depending on the coral, these can be the size of a dime or even the pit of an avacado.

KORALLENFUETTERN.jpg

SPS coral. The colonies of SPS corals are made of incredibly small polyps when compared to those of an LPS. I've seen the polyps on SPS range from about the size of a small pea down to just a few millimeters across.

imageproxy (3).jpg

The "stony" part of the two names comes from the fact that the corals are colonies of fleshy polyps that all share a calcified (stony) skeleton. Here are some examples of the different skeletal structures formed by various species of corals:

azoox-identifcation-key.jpg
    3_10.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    The 10 gallon sump only has two chambers and I want make it a three chamber for a refugium. I was thinking about making a non permanent baffle so we could adjust down the road. Looking for ideas on that front, I had considered using the coarse filter pads in a similar fashion to what BRS did. But I'm open to ideas on that.
    Interesting idea. I haven't looked at what BRS did; I'll have to check it out. My knee-jerk reaction to the idea is that there could be potential problems to flow rates through the fuge, but then I guess you could always cut out slits or something in the pad. I'm gonna go hunt down what they had to say about it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Interesting idea. I haven't looked at what BRS did; I'll have to check it out. My knee-jerk reaction to the idea is that there could be potential problems to flow rates through the fuge, but then I guess you could always cut out slits or something in the pad. I'm gonna go hunt down what they had to say about it.
    it was in there ULM builds they did, I don't remember what episode. I was kicking the idea around with somebody else and they had a good thought. I may do egg crate with foam around the edges. The foam would hold it in place and the egg crate would allow for tons of flow through the fuge. I just know with a small sump I don't want to restrict my space in any direction other than the already in place baffles.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I like the idea of egg crate a lot more.

I know the conventional design is to have the thin-spaced bubble traps prior to the return pump, but I went a different route with mine. I made the space bigger so that I could add additional media bags and Poly-fil in there. The Poly-fil prevents the micro bubbles from making their way to the return pump, but my main concern with a fuge sump is the stories I've heard of the macro algae releasing spores which then travel up into the display. I have both chaeto and caulerpa in my fuge, and I'm hoping that packing all the Poly-fil between those two baffles will prevent the spores from reaching the display. Only time will tell. I have no idea how small those spores are, so I'm not sure how effective the floss will be.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well this one already has the bubble traps before the return, but the rest is just an open chamber. Iíll get a better pic next time Iím over there. I am wanting to add a baffle between inlet and what will be my fuge.

From my understanding is thatís why cheato is so popular. It doesnít release the spores like that. I know there are some kinds that do but I pretty it doesnít.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well my plan was to at least get this tank plumbed on Sunday, but I didn't make it very far. We got the spot cleaned up its going to go and then realized the overflow box is coming loose and needs to be redone. Plus I'm going to have to cut off the current bulk heads to replumb the tank. So parts are ordered and should be here next week. Work will resume then.

IMG_1613.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh that's a crappy turn of luck. Sorry to hear you have to do all that extra work and wait for parts.