· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Finally!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Cool Finally!

1 Not allowed!
    For all those who have answered my posts and given advice through the past months after I somehow wrecked my tank.
    This am, I had both nitrites and nitrates!

I still had a dark green on ammonia, so I ask this. When using prime, I know it still shows up on the ammonia test, but does it effect the nitrites and nitrates as well?

Thanks all!
    marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Prime detoxes it for 24-48 hours but doesn't remove it (Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte) and yes they still show on test results for moat test kits. The API master test kit that most people use, yes it still reads it.. Personally I'm unaware of any that dotty but have read information indicating some may not read them after detox.

Keep dosing and doing what you're doing sounds like you are on the right track! Congrats!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Does this tank have fish in it?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats marc!!! I'm so happy you're finally seeing the next process in the nitrogen cycle. You can add sodium chloride to protect against nitrite poisoning (1 teaspoon of dissolved salt per 10 gallons.) Salt does not evaporate, it stays in the water until you change it out via WCs so if you add sea kosher salt, only add more for water removed. When it's time to remove completely, simply water change it out. It's best to add salt slowly, over a couple days to not change the chemistry too quickly.

There are some tests that only measure free ammonia.
    (seachem ammno dot) or both (seachem multitest ammonia kit)
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-12-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Dosing the entire tank
    every 24 hours should not really be necessary, as it will remain active for up to 48 hours.
    Even when bound to Prime, the ammonia will provide enough of a food source for the beneficial bacteria to survive and reproduce. Using Prime during cycling will not starve off any bacterial colonies, and there will still be a sufficient food source.
    Prime converts ammonia into a complexed imidium salt. This salt is a nitrogenous compound that can still be utilized by aerobic bacteria. In the same way they consume ammonia, these bacteria consume the imidium salt and release nitrite as a byproduct. Prime will also bind with nitrite and nitrate, however, it will not prevent bacteria from consuming these compounds as well. Unfortunately, while we have researched it extensively in our laboratory, I do not have any documents that I can provide you as proof. However, if you wanted to test this, it would be very simple and could be done by treating tap water containing chloramine with Prime and adding it to an established aquarium. Also add a Seachem Ammonia Alert to give continuous free ammonia readings. Prime will break the chloramine bond, leaving behind ammonia. Unlike other water conditioners it will then bind to the ammonia, producing a non-toxic imidium salt. At this point you will see a 0.0 ammonia reading on the Ammonia Alert. After 24 hours, begin checking the Ammonia Alert every 30 minutes or so. After 24 hours, Prime will start to become inactive and if it is still binding any ammonia, it will begin to release it. If this is the case, the Ammonia Alert will begin changing color, giving you a reading for free ammonia.
    *taken from Prime Q&A
    https://www.seachem.com/support/foru...rime-questions
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-12-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    You can immediately add 1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons, since this is relatively a small increase in TDS. When adding 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon, it would be best to be done over an 8-16 hour period (assuming you sleep 8 hours a day). If the eventual goal is to reach 1 tablespoon or more per gallon, at a minimum, I would add that total amount in no less than 3 days (e.g. treatment of ich)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rocksor. I'm too prudent about changing water parameters in soft water (what I'm familiar with).
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Until I came here, I never realized you could add salt to fresh water aquariums. Probably more natural than throwing other things in!

Yes, there are fish in the tank. I didn't want to cycle with them in, but had no choice. The short tale is that I had a fully cycling tank which I had done fishless, changed out the water which was high in nitrates on the night prior to the fish arriving. They had come by plane, I had no way to send them back or another tank. Not something I was happy about.

Thank you for the tip on the free ammonia test. That should give me a better idea of how things are going.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Totally ok for your fish. It will raise Total Dissolved Solids, but your fish prefer hard water. If you have softened water, (and I really don't know much about it) the water is most likely naturally hard and softened with salts, adding to the TDS. So not really softening the water...
    Might be worth looking into for your own info. I'm not sure if all water softeners are the same. Some may be RO units, in that case, the water IS softened, TDS reduced to almost nothing and additional salts and minerals would have to be added to remineralize water.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i can find a bag of what ever the water is softened with. Usually, I try to replace the calcium and manesium with seecham's product. Since the tap water comes out of the faucet at about 8.4, and that is after going through the water softener, it is probably incredibly high before hand.

Before this, i just associated hard water being easier to rinse off soap in the water, while softened water makes it more difficult. Other than that, I'd never given it thought until i started the fish business.