· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

more tetra's - Lady Hobbs   sorry about your tetra's - Lady Hobbs   and a friend for the others - Lady Hobbs   

Default Marimo moss balls

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all,
    I ordered a few Marimo moss balls online for my tanks and I was just wondering what I should do to prep them for my tanks? I've seen every suggestion from a quick squeeze and rinse, to soaking them thoroughly in tank water, to isolating them for a week in salt (??) water...

what do you folks suggest? :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Just toss them in. They’re a type of cladophora algae and prettt resilient.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I always soak mine in a pitcher overdosed with prime and Paraguard for a day and then soak a few more days in regular water with just prime. Squeeze them till they sink so they are soaked with the prime Paraguard solution. And no I don't measure either I honestly probably put enough for 20g in the little one gallon pitcher I seriously OD them. I've also heard of people using aquarium salt but I don't do that. I forgot about some a month or three ago for my son's tank as they were stuck in the closet with my fish supplies and they were there a couple weeks at least in the dark with just the initial OD treatment and they were fine when I remembered them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Is this process for all plants or marimo balls in particular for some particular reason? I'm just curious.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    I just dumped mine into my tanks, and they sank to the substrate. They remind me of little dark green bean bag cushions. I sometimes see my dojos relaxing on them -- really cute.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Is this process for all plants or marimo balls in particular for some particular reason? I'm just curious.
    I usually do the Paraguard for most plants and always do the prime. Because some plants are treated with stuff to kill snails which is often copper based and prime binds heavy metals. Paraguard in case there are ich or anything in it.... Although realistically I know I probably don't do it long enough to kill most stuff but it's why I OD it and it's worked well enough so far for me. I've never had luck with dips so I just Paraguard them lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok that's awesome tx. I didn't even think of copper! Never hurts to be cautious with new additions, I have started QTing my plants as well. I don't care about snails, they don't survive in soft water, but I can't take any chances with parasites and disease.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat