· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fry Question

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - grizzly   No Message - grizzly   No Message - grizzly   No Message - grizzly   

Default Fry Question

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed a couple weeks ago that I had a few fry in my tank. I decided to just let them be. I thought that they were all eaten by my other fish, but i noticed that there is still one left today. Since this guy is so tough I'm going to raise it. It hides in the plastic plants on the surface of the water. My male guaramis has noticed the fry as well and is trying to eat it. However the plants are quite dense and he cannot reach the fry. Its about .5inches.

Do i need a divider to keep it from being eaten?

The surface current is pretty strong and since the fry hangs out there all day do you think its going to be a problem? (Its not tossing the fry around but i don't know if the constant surface movement would stress it out.)

Can I feed it bloodworms? tropical flakes? brine shrimp?

Is there anything I should watch out for, or do to help the little guy?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    If you buy one of those plastic breeder boxes that are used for pregnant livebearers, you could keep that fry in one. You can feed it crushed flake. Hikari makes a micro-pellet that's very good. Freshly-hatched baby brine shrimp would be very helpful.
    Any idea whose fry that is?
    You need to feed it tiny meals three or four times a day. Tiny as in no more than it can eat in 30 seconds to a minute. You need to keep his belly bulging.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - grizzly   No Message - grizzly   No Message - grizzly   No Message - grizzly   

0 Not allowed!
    it could be a dalmatian molly, or a dwarf guaramis.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    if you have male and female mollies then i would say that it is the mollies.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    are you suppose to separate the mollies once the female gives birth? One of my mollies always chases the other one so i was thinking it was trying to protect the fry??

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ive never bred mollies but i think you remove the fry and put them in a seperate tank then all other fish otherwise the fry will be snacked apon. Try a breeding box or breeding net.
    ---------
    Yay --- Portland Trail Blazers 12 game winning streak

10 gallon

2 yoyo loaches
    2 birchardi
    1 three spot gourami

38 gallon

not set up yet

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    how many weeks will i have to wait until i can let it loose with the other guys? the largest fish i have is about 2-3inches

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    alright hahah. I found another little guy. Im pretty excited. At least the two have some company in the little separator. I bought a little container, put some plastic plants in it, and tossed the fry in there. Its hung over the aquarium, and a glass cleaner magnet is keeping it on the surface. I am feeding them several times a day with tropical flakes and brine shrimp. Is there anything I should do except continue to feed them until they get bigger?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    does the breeder box have holes in it to allow new water to get in an dold water to get out??? if not daily water changes.
    are you feeding BBS (baby brine shrimp)???

also...if you are looking for more.....take a plant and let it float at the top of the tank. Usually when livebearer fry are born they swim straight to the top of the tank and stay there. So if you put a plant at the top then you might get some more.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    1. Does the breeder box have holes in it to allow new water to get in an old water to get out???

Yes.

2. Are you feeding BBS (baby brine shrimp)???

It is a Multi-vitamin enriched brine shrimp by Hikari. I crumble it up into very small pieces and they eat it.