· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

Default Fluval Bug Bites

0 Not allowed!
    I've been wanting to try this food for a while now...but I've read some reviews about the actual size of the granules, how they are so small that some fish ignore them (the "small fish" formula, seen here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077KCGR9F...ing=UTF8&psc=1)

There's one for large fish, as well, but I don't need 6 bottles, even with free shipping, lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077KB8SK2...ding=UTF8&th=1

Those of you who have used this food, which one did you get?...I see there's a cichlid formula, a bottom dweller formula, a goldfish formula...not sure of any others available
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

3 Not allowed!
    Agree, the blue package has some pretty small pieces and the granule sizes are not very uniform. Good for my small tetras and cichlid fry, but If I used the small fish formula in tanks with only large tetras and cichlids, it would make a mess because smallest pieces get ignored. The small fish eat the small pellets, big fish go for the large ones. I use the cichlid and pleco formulas myself. My medium and large tetras are fine with the cichlid formula size. The bottom dweller formula size is a bit larger than the cichlid size.

I've recently learned this food is not a staple food though. I only feed this once a week now due to the green peas. I really like to feed the food though, black soldier fly larvae are a real hit with my fish and I feel it's good for them.

A couple links to some info I received regarding long term pea protein feeding.
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27666681

I used to feed peas for the veggie factor, not protein, but anyway... just to let you know! Not like someone would feed this every day anyway.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info Kat, yes, I would feed this only every once in a while, more of a treat than a staple food.

Most of my fish are small, but may try the cichlid formula anyway

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I use the small fish formula and just recently got the bottom dweller one too. It's a big hit with everyone, from my fry to my tetras of all sizes and even my angel. Cories love it too. I'm sure they're not discriminating between the small fish and bottom dweller formulas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the feedback, Sue

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

1 Not allowed!
    Are your fish used to pellets? Do they chew entire pellets? If you have mostly neon tetra-sized fish, I might go for the small fish formula for you Matt. I'd hate for your fish to not be able to eat the pieces based on what I said. My fish are bigger than yours hahaha and what I'm used to. I'd feed the small fish formula to my gold and kerri tetras. The rest of my fish are larger. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I don't feed many pellets, just a couple of very small ones (NLS and Omega One veggie), and they'll chew them, spit them, chew them until they get soft enough to eat

I'll get the small fish formula, thanks again for the help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Really, I think that's the best bet for you. Especially If you feed sparingly. If you have cories (can't remember) there's no worry about the mess of ignored pellets falling to the substrate :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I think you're right, I do feed sparingly, actually haven't fed since Thursday, but they got bloodworms that night

3 tanks have corys, the betta tank doesn't, but I feed him just a wee bit

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good. I too started feeding less since I've been more confident that internal parasite is under control, hopefully gone.
    -Kat