· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: earth worms

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default earth worms

0 Not allowed!
    so way back when i used to keep Oscars and other predatory fish I would feed them an occasional well rinsed earthworm or two. I just wanted to get a feel if earthworms are still used by many people? have you bought them or have you collected them on your own?. I dabbled in "Vermiculture" years ago but it was raising and selling earthworms to fishermen. but I have recently been thinking about trying it again. I know there may be a small market in it from aquarium keepers and those who do composting.

do you currently feed your fish earthworms?
    have you tried different varieties? (there are different ones out there, some that ship without the need to keep cool)
    what size have you used?
    what do you like and/or dislike about them?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I use them for my bigger fish. I use the ones that live in my outdoor compost bins. I try to get the smaller ones, so that dwarf cichlids can eat them easily.

I have friends that collect earthworms, freeze them, and shave off small pieces to feed to smaller fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I use them for my bigger fish. I use the ones that live in my outdoor compost bins. I try to get the smaller ones, so that dwarf cichlids can eat them easily.

I have friends that collect earthworms, freeze them, and shave off small pieces to feed to smaller fish.
    good to know, I thought about how well they might freeze but I did not think it would work very well. maybe worth a try though. thank you for your response.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Mine love them.

Also flies and any other insect which I can catch. The discus in particlure love flies and worms.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Fish love insects, I have also thrown some bait prawn that we get here(sand prawn and mud prawn) into my tanks, the fish love eating those.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I used to feed my fish mosquito larvae, they absolutely go insane for them and love them so much. I really want to feed my fish insects and worms.....but I'm paranoid about parasites. Does anyone worry about what the bug might have gotten into? I can't even feed them house spiders.

I once had a young 4 month angelfish come down with septicemia after feeding mosquito larvae. Doesn't make sense that the infection didn't come from the larvae in a bare-bottom QT'd grow out tank with only other baby fish.

Recently I found an internal parasite in a few of my fish, it was such a complete surprise since I QT'd and was so careful, I just can't trust anything anymore. Anyone feel this way? I don't want to be like this!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Where I live, I'm afraid to feed my fish native insects or worms, not because of worry over parasites, but because of the air quality/soil quality that may be compromised by man-made pollution
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    That and I can't be sure they didn't get into my neighbor's insecticide. My friend with WCM has no problems, but he keeps them in his pond in the summer months. I feel my indoor fish don't have enough resistance.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat