· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Moving Tanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Moving Tanks

0 Not allowed!
    Just need to talk this through and think out loud, in a sense.

I want to have my 1st floor hardwood floors refinished in the next several months. This will require moving not only my furniture but also 3 of my tanks - 40B, 25g and 20g. The furniture will fit in the garage and I believe I can fit 2 of the tanks in my kitchen, maybe the 3rd (25g) in my 1st floor half bath or the garage, if necessary. Since everything will be out of these rooms, I figured I may as well have them painted, too. So it will be maybe a month or so (depending on contractor availability) before everything gets moved back. The movers I've spoken to have said they will move the tanks and the woman I spoke with even looked up the weight of the largest tank.

Here's what I've been thinking. Drain the tanks halfway as they'll only be moving about 20-25'. We could then use my kitchen table to move a tank onto, move the stand to its temporary position, then relocate the tank to the stand. My kitchen table is a solid butcher block type so it would hold even the 40B easily. My concern is the weight on the bottom of the tank as they lift and move it even the short distance or the possibility of any slight "twisting".

Has anyone moved a half full tank within their home? Would purchasing something like this - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiato..._tnt=98739:0:0 - be worthwhile to move the tanks the 25' from living area to kitchen?

I do not want to catch all fish and move to buckets or totes two times. So while this may be the ideal solution, it's not going to happen. Is there anything else I should be worrying about?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    First thing I was going to suggest was a rolling workbench or cart...that one is kinda pricey, but would work well IMO, and if you could use it for something else when done moving the tanks, even better

The only tank I've ever moved was the 29G in Lauren's room, but it only had to move about 10 feet...used padded furniture sliders under the stand on wooden floors, was much easier than I thought it would be (took 2 people, and we moved it very slowly, to minimize sloshing)

Drained it about 75%
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-25-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm a giant "rearranger" and move furniture regularly... I used to move but that's too hard with a kiddo so now I rearrange when I get bored.
    I have furniture movers, little plastic things that slide under the corners or legs of heavy furniture. When I move tanks I drain water almost entirely with fish in the tank still stuff my little mover foots under the corners and slide around. They work best on carpet though and on laminate floors I've used rigid plastic that I sewed "felt" around to slide stuff.

I don't lift anything larger than a 10g with substrate or water, well I remove darn near all of it if it's going to be lifted.

I drain tanks to a level based on the size of the fish. I leave enough water for nano fish to swim without scraping bellies but uneven substrate may come out of the water. Wide bodied fish like Goldies or Oscar they get enough to cover them but not upright they usually have to lay sideways and I immediately fill tanks to where they can at least be upright as soon as possible even if a full fill has to wait an hour. Everything else in between gets to stay wet at least (like wide bodied) and depending on size may get to do a little belly dragging if they want to swim during the move. I always get everyone a few inches immediately after moving and move them immediately after draining. I don't drain everyone, move everyone then fill I do one entirely at a time and fill enough to swim at least before moving to the next.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I remove my fish and almost all the water into a Rubbermaid bin when I have to move a tank. Then I refill and move fish back in when it's relocated. For your heavily planted tanks where it may be impossible to net your fish, I'd drain it down to fin height (keep the water in a rubbermaid bin), place the tank on a plank of wood. Two ppl grabbing the sides of the plank the width of the footprint. Then add reserved water back for same parameters.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I had thought of a plank of wood for moving the tanks, too, but then a picture of it possibly tipping stuck in my head. I think I may invest in that cart for peace of mind, even though a bit pricey and only needed for a short distance. I can drain 2 of the tanks more than half way, but the 25g has my angel in it. So for this one fish, I may even catch him and use a bucket to move him. Then I could drain more than half and just leave the cories and rummys in there.

I've tried those "movers" once before unsuccessfully. My neighbor swears by them and has used them several times. I had some that were hard plastic that also came with soft covers for hardwood. I was trying to move a large heavy bookcase and just couldn't manage. I know I wasn't doing something right. The tanks will be moving from hardwood onto ceramic tile. I'll talk more with the movers before I finalize anything. I only spoke to someone in the office so maybe the guys themselves have ideas or a plan that will ease my mind. I was just glad to find out they would even move them.

Thanks for your comments. Good to know it's not going to be an impossible task or require catching everybody.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I remove my fish and almost all the water into a Rubbermaid bin when I have to move a tank. Then I refill and move fish back in when it's relocated. For your heavily planted tanks where it may be impossible to net your fish, I'd drain it down to fin height (keep the water in a rubbermaid bin), place the tank on a plank of wood. Two ppl grabbing the sides of the plank the width of the footprint. Then add reserved water back for same parameters.
    If this were one tank, I might remove all fish. I did that when I had the wood floors put in and I only had one 26g tank. My son was here at the time so we put the fish into buckets and he moved the tank to the cellar. We had to use buckets to refill it. Then back up again later. But having to move 3 tanks at once is just too many fish to think about and too much time involved. But thanks for the suggestion.